Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Skins
Heh... I have been putting a bunch of fake sponsors on most of my liveries because I think I'm clever. Mostly it's companies that make most of my computer gear and a few other brands I have at least some minor loyalty to in one way or another. Most recently I've been a bit lazy and have been leaving the sponsors off... especially on skins where the texture map is SUPER efficient (which is to say, confusing as hell).

If any of you have family businesses that would like to sponsor my fake racing career for real, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do. I can't promise you'll see many podium finishes, however!
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(12-31-2017, 10:00 PM)João Dias Wrote:  I ve seen a lot of people with others skins.. I am actually surprised to see people thinking that this is  not cool, personally I feel flattered that someone would choose my skin over others...

To be honest, I just learned to do skins in the first place because this! and the live transmissions , sure looks nice there, but
my intent was also advertising my family biuisness and add some fun ingame, so as many people uses my skin, the better i supose...

But funny to see how differently humans can see and feel about the same thing..

I think maybe you're confusing two different things João...
If we are talking about skins that are not made for a specific individual and are just designed to look as nice, cool or professional as they can be, and the person that made it is very proud of his work and likes to show his work and share it, yes in that case, maybe the guy who did the skin will feel flattered when it see's it being used by other people. And yes, i did said IF he shares it.
On the other hand and usually on organized online racing events, we have personal or private skins, which the main goal is to be a visual identification of a specific driver or team simply by just looking at the car. So if more than one person uses it, it just loses its purpose all together.
I can see the problem here, I'm actually sat watching someone race with my livery in an MX5 cup race. He has my name plastered down both sides of the doors. Now I'm sort of pissed and sort of impressed that someone actually ran with it. I too would not want people thinking that it was me if the driver misbehaved.
Now I don't know the developer of the app at all, it does a great job and I thank him so much for it. Could be possible to mark skins as private or public. Using a key of some sort stored on your SRS account. Then have a copy of this key in your skin files something like key.ini. This could then be checked against the one on your SRS account. If it is a match let the car use the skin, if its not just use a default one. This key should simply not be copied to other peoples computers when the skin transfer takes place. It should be possible to transfer all files apart from key.ini. It could also transfer a stock picture to other people computer, so when they choose skins it could show private skin.
This of course would not stop anyone taking the skin files and using their own skin key. But it would be a start. Perhaps some extra info inserted into the actual skin files like a hashed key with  some salt. I'm just thinking out loud here, it will need more work.
I think this would be a good work around for everyone if it could be implemented.
I agree, skins should be kept for the user unless they want to share them. Maybe some new users do it by mistake.

If anyone would like a skin doing I'd do it for a small fee. See my f2004 skin attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-01-2018, 09:23 AM)Afonso Quelhas Wrote:  I think maybe you're confusing two different things João...
If we are talking about skins that are not made for a specific individual and are just designed to look as nice, cool or professional as they can be, and the person that made it is very proud of his work and likes to show his work and share it, yes in that case, maybe the guy who did the skin will feel flattered when it see's it being used by other people. And yes, i did said IF he shares it.
On the other hand and usually on organized online racing events, we have personal or private skins, which the main goal is to be a visual identification of a specific driver or team simply by just looking at the car. So if more than one person uses it, it just loses its purpose all together.

Alright, now I get it.. Yeah, on that case would be a bummer 2 people with the same skin..
And actually, it still feels a little uncomfortable watching someone else with my nametag and nationatl/local flag lol

Anyway, as long as it is possible, it should be an easy thing to solve, having some sort of option where you could mark as a public or private skin prior to the upload, and then only the owner would have access to the files... 

and im quite intrested to see how this will be sorted out..
SURVIVING ROOKIES - Legendado PT-BR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJcb-_LcUE

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himslef."
- Ferdinand Porsche
(01-15-2018, 02:56 PM)João Dias Wrote:  
(01-01-2018, 09:23 AM)Afonso Quelhas Wrote:  I think maybe you're confusing two different things João...

Alright, now I get it.. Yeah, on that case would be a bummer 2 people with the same skin..
And actually, it still feels a little uncomfortable watching someone else with my nametag and nationatl/local flag lol

Anyway, as long as it is possible, it should be an easy thing to solve, having some sort of option where you could mark as a public or private skin prior to the upload, and then only the owner would have access to the files... 

and im quite intrested to see how this will be sorted out..

"Quite simple"
Too bad it isn't as simple as you think, because for the game to load a skin it must be in the same format as all other skins, so at some point they'll have your files anyway.
(01-16-2018, 01:01 AM)Tymon Douglas Wrote:  [quote='João Dias' pid='8299' dateline='1516028174']

"Quite simple"
Too bad it isn't as simple as you think, because for the game to load a skin it must be in the same format as all other skins, so at some point they'll have your files anyway.

-->"as long as it is possible" <--

Alright,
lets add a rule where you can report someone for skin piracy, because it is also possible to take screens ingame and pretty much copy the skin, so yeah, seems useless such a public/private feature indeed...

- Ferdinand Porsche
(01-16-2018, 05:48 PM)João Dias Wrote:  
(01-16-2018, 01:01 AM)Tymon Douglas Wrote:  
(01-15-2018, 02:56 PM)João Dias Wrote:  "Quite simple"

-->"as long as it is possible" <--

Alright,
lets add a rule where you can report someone for skin piracy, because it is also possible to take screens ingame and pretty much copy the skin, so yeah, seems useless such a public/private feature indeed...
The only effective way to stop this is actually doing that, reporting for using your personal skin. The way assetto corsa works doesn't allow any other solution. It needs it to be fully readable on the skin folder for it to be shown.
On another note, i'd prefer to be able to upload my skin beforehand instead of just being able to do that during the race, because my bandwidth is quite limited and sometimes i'm not able to upload it on time for it to show up on stream.
It's been mentioned a few places on the forums, but if you start a single player race before the actual race, it will start downloading and uploading before practice on the real server happens. At least some times. I haven't had it work the last four or five times I've tried. I still haven't figured out the correct black magick ritual to make it work 100%, but you can at least try that.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Good to know that, as a hostage of south american ISPs, downloading during pratice and qualify is not enough to get all skins some times..

- Ferdinand Porsche