Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips and help for beginners
Hi
I'm a bit new and I want to know if there is a way that I can improve if there is any like ways to increase my skill I'm rather new and I have raced 3 times by the time I post this and I keep coming last and I don't want to. If there is any tips you guys can help me out with because I'm still racing a bit awful and I hate sometimes colliding with people, I hate it sometimes that I lose control and hit others accidentally as I know I might of kind ruined there lap.
If there's any help or resources you guys can recommend that are free then please let me know
Get and use Helicorsa or Car Radar to help with your situational awareness.

Also put in some offline practice. You may be last at the moment but concentrate on staying on the track then build the speed up.
i have raced in about 6 months now and what has helped me was the app helicorsa and setupmarket to get some decent setups and to improve racing with others i have raced some races offline that way you can improve your racecraft.
and just take some practise to learn the track and start slowly then carry some more speed lap by lap  Smile
This video series (Surviving Rookies) gives good overall driving hints, stuff to be aware of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U&t=525s

And the Driver61 series has good, a bit technical, information on driving lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZlOkt1o...wxdHoeJ302

And of course, hop on the servers for live action practice.

Have fun improving!
I`d recommend focusing on being consistent. And for knowing a track, following AI`s ghost or other players` ghost helps immensely.
If you`re having problems racing in large packs, do this with AI until you feel confident.
Know you tracks. Train offline, also with good AI. You can learnesome things from them (but  not too much, they are not programmed very well). But remember that real people behave differently from AI, so you cannot directly copy in a multiplayer race what you did offline. (And there are anecdotal reports that the game may behave slightly differently in the two scenarios).

Keep in mind that  with other people of the track you wil often have to be off the optimal line, and you have to compensate for that by taking the corner slower etc. Just yesterday I did a PC2 race with 12 or so live players and 18 very slow AI cars. Basically moving chicanes. Very weird race, but good training in being flexible and finding alternate lines when another car is crawling at the apex.

Be wise, especially in an online race sometimes it's better to back off a little  and find a better opportunity later  rather than push 110% and crash. I have "passed" far more people  because they spun out/crashed than I have passed actually.

Before you are a total master of the car, brake a bit earlier. It's a common noob mistake (which i  make every now and then too) to brake too late and overshoot the apex, maybe lock up, and ruin  the corner exit.  Braking a tad earlier and getting a good exit will often gain you far more time.

In the heat of battling another person, keep in mind it's still the same track and car with the same limitations.  You still have to use your braking points. Trying to outbrake the other guy may lead to outbraking yourself and losing far more.

As Maciek said, consistency is important. Getting one 1:28 lap means little if all other las are 1:34-1:36. You would be better off if you consistently posted 1:30.

I am assuming that you are familiar with general racing technique,  optimal racing line, hitting  apexes, using the entire width of track,  when to apex early and when to apex late etc. If not, read on that or watch videos.  This is a classic, but there are many  other resources https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-sGV2XXUeU

It is also recommended to watch your own races in chase view, most likely you will learn that you were not using the entire track even if you thought you did.

Then if you really want to be at te top, you need to understand setting the car up, but that's a completely different story.
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
Also remember that if you are following some one you need to break earlier, or you'll be in to the back of them.
(03-08-2019, 02:21 PM)Pawel Kusmierek Wrote:  Keep in mind that  with other people of the track you wil often have to be off the optimal line, and you have to compensate for that by taking the corner slower etc. Just yesterday I did a PC2 race with 12 or so live players and 18 very slow AI cars. Basically moving chicanes. Very weird race, but good training in being flexible and finding alternate lines when another car is crawling at the apex.

This is the biggest mistake I see most often in races here. There's plenty of people who can put in good lap times alone on the track, but when you put them side by side with another car, they haven't a clue as to how to take a corner a car+ width off the apex and still keep it on the track. Or how to hit an apex but alter their exit so they still leave a car+ width on the outside.

A common occurrence for me is to qualify 10th-20th, then pass 5 or so guys that wreck out lap one due to whatever reason... and then some of those 5 guys (who overall are faster hotlappers than me) expect to easily pass everyone slow than them once they get back on the track. They then find that just a tiny bit of defense keep them at bay because they can't take a corner off the optimal racing line. They either end up stuck behind me permanently, or get so frustrated they dive bomb. Sometimes I'll see it coming and let it go, but most times it's out of no where and they cause a wreck.

In short, after you can go around a particular track 20 times without losing control once while keeping it within 5 seconds of a normal race pace*... start taking corners with sub-optimal racing lines. See what you have to give up (speed, turn in, breaking point, etc.) in order to make the turn without losing too much time.

*This is my own personal training litmus test... if I can't keep the car on track that consistently, I very likely won't sign up for a race in the first place.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Im new to sim racing also, started in January this year.

Great tips and advise here, thank you..
(03-08-2019, 08:45 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:   when you put them side by side with another car, they haven't a clue as to how to take a corner a car+ width off the apex and still keep it on the track.
Oh yes. Here is an example (from PC2) when I and another guy managed to do it. Mateusz, please see how neither of us could take the optimal line. I gave the video a half-joking title, because going two abreast into Eau-Rouge/Radillon, on the first lap, along an unknown simracer, may be called bad judgment. But it worked because each of us knew how to respect the other one's space. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0UMolOztnY

(03-08-2019, 08:45 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  Or how to hit an apex but alter their exit so they still leave a car+ width on the outside. 
Very true. I lost positions and got damage in some SRS races, when guys like that exited as if I wasn't there on the outside. But later, it costed them some time off SRS when I reported them and they got suspended.
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians