Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where does time go?
OK, I am on par with AI at 100% and I usually end up in the bottom third of Server 1 races. My rating grows because I drive clean and consistent, I am relatively new to the hobby and 58 years old, so all that suits me fine - that's presumably where I belong.
But. I like to understand things. And, for the life of me, I cannot understand how somebody can be two, two and a half seconds faster than me on a minute-and-a-half track, and not on an occasional hotlap, but consistently, in race conditions. A couple of tens, that I can understand. Half a second, OK. One second, perhaps. Two and a half? Give me a BREAK!
In Iracing they have telemetry analysis. That's very nice, but it didn't help me much. It just showed that the other guy was 5 or 10 MPH faster than me mid corner, after I had gone around the same corner maybe 600, 700 times, trying all possible small variations of line. In. Com. Pre. Hen. Si. Ble. Also, and predictably, the other guy always had more yaw angle than me. But I don't know what to do to get the bloody car to rotate a bit...
Any thoughts?
Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-sGV2XXUeU

And then if you like it and want even more, pick up a copy of the book: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?...ing+faster

I'm on page 30 and I've already corrected a few bad habits and my lap times drop daily.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
Thanks Russel. I'll watch that too because I could repeat Pete's post almost entirely (only I am a bit younger).

Myself, other than bad habits and lack of knowledge (the latter hopefully fixed by the video), I see two factors that impede my improvement.

I cannot achieve a wholesome immersion, I cannot fully appreciate both my speed and the geometry of the corner through the monitor. Maybe VR could help.

Second, having some experience in karting, I feel that my perception of car/kart behavior, grip limits. etc is mostly through my body via g-forces. These are not available in sim racing, and I need to learn to get the same information from visual and auditory cues, and through the steering wheel.
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
(10-06-2018, 06:11 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-sGV2XXUeU

And then if you like it and want even more, pick up a copy of the book: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?...ing+faster

I'm on page 30 and I've already corrected a few bad habits and my lap times drop daily.

I don't know what to say, Russell. Since I started sim racing, I watched the Skip Barber video at least four times, and it's not telling me anything I don't know already, at least in theory. It's how that translates into practice on the specific tracks I'm driving on that evades me. I obviously watch the hotlaps on Youtube and I get my references from there. When I look, again, at the Iracing analysis, my lines are within inches of the fast guys. Only, they go a lot faster. Braking points very similar, cornering speeds much higher. And if i try to go faster, I fly.

Another example. Say that I follow closely some guy I am racing with. We are comparable in overall speed/ability. I am tailgating him as we go round the corner before the big straight - same speed, same line. I am there, I can see. And then he comes out with a little more speed and gradually moves away...
Hello Pete,

i am in simracing since 2001 (maybe longer) , now 45 years old. Many books readsed and many videos watched, and still slower then top driver, only reliability and safe driving is my stronger part. I know how to drive it right but something in my brain workes bad, the coordination of pedals and wheel isn so good like the top drivers, sometimes helps to do many, many many laps on one track in one car but i think, you must have something special in brain and heart

what is helping a little is good wheel and pedals (my times drops a little after i bought G29 after 15years using "red" momo)
Seat of the pants feelings are a huge part of racing on the limit of grip. A good wheel with FFB settings set up properly can give you SOME of that info, but certainly not the kind that you get from actually feeling the moment of wheels getting away from you. And zero on the g-forces too. If you are already studied up on what makes a good line, how to hit the apex at the right speed, etc... I guess the only advice I can give is to study the replays of the guys way faster than you. Replays in AC don't always give you the EXACT information as it happened on the server, but I certainly get a few tenths at least out of just seeing what really fast guys do as far as what gear to take certain corners in and see what is possible to get away with on curbs, etc..

Outside of that, find a fountain of youth and be in your 20s. I'm positive that would make all the difference in the world for myself (mid-40s here!). Big Grin
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
I'm in my '40s, too. I race NASA improved touring and WRL endurance races in real life, but in simracing I'm kind of a mid-pack guy. I'm fine with that. In real life and on the sim, car rotatation is really important for being fast, you're really just driving the tires. Without G-forces in simracing, it's harder to feel the car rotate. I can do a little better in rFactor 2 because you feel the tires more than Assetto Corsa, but I'll never be able to put in the time to be really fast at simracing. You run the perfect line and hit every apex just right, but unless you're rotating the car, meaning the car has slip into and out of the corner and not just feeling glued to the tarmac, it's impossible to carry fast enough speeds through the corners to be competitive.
Thanks again Russell for your comments, and everybody else for their inputs. I'm glad to see there's many of us! 
For a laugh, a month ago I had an online lesson with this Johnny Guindi guy using Iracing - absolutely fantastic guy - professionalism and maturity galore, for a chap who's 24, is an alien and also a university student... His main comment was that I was "underdriving" the car, and turning in too late. We were lapping at Laguna Seca and following his suggestions I dropped about one second, quickly hitting my desired target (still about 5 seconds seconds from him!). However, I was using the Skippy then, and now I am racing the front wheel traction MX5 on AC, completely different ballgame. 
Again - anybody has suggestions on how to (at least try) to rotate the MX5?
(10-06-2018, 10:37 PM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  now I am racing the front wheel traction MX5 
Uhm, you cannot mean front-wheel drive, and Mazda MX-5?  Because that car is RWD...
Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians
If you want to be fast you have to have the knowledge of how to drive the car properly i.e. trail braking, throttle control, hitting apex' sand braking points consistently, etc. You also need to have a car that is set up properly to be able to go fast. If you're like me and you don't really understand how to setup a car properly then you can download the Setup Market app and use tunes that other people have posted. Also, lookup the list that has the ideal tire pressure for all the cars in AC, as correct tire pressure is vitally important in AC. A good tune can easily be worth a couple of seconds on most tracks.

Iracing has the Setup Sync app that does the same thing as the Setup Market does in ac btw.