Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRS / iRacing Comparison?
Question 
Are any SRS drivers also active on iRacing? I've done a 3-month trial (which expired last week) and tried a few cars, VR, and just 2-3 races all with the included content, but I'm thinking of going big with a 2-year membership ($120 after new account discount) after I return from my holiday travels. I'm very intrigued by the Skip Barber series that people gush about. I like driving open wheelers in VR and the Skippy sounds like it's within my skill range to control.

I vastly prefer the Assetto Corsa simulator to iRacing's because of the helpful apps I can run, the Content Manager launcher, the great community from SRS, a great variety of cars and tracks, and the free (after AC is purchased) service.

But iRacing's service certainly is nice. It's great to race hourly in the series I'm interested in instead of just certain times during the day/week. I fully understand with the number of drivers in SRS's user base, running the same car/track config hourly would result in much fewer drivers on the starting grid. iRacing's HUD is seriously limited compared to AC. You can't even reposition apps or display multiple at once - just page through them in the "black box."

I'm interested to hear anybody else's thoughts on their iRacing/SRS preferences.
The people on iRacing are taking it way too serious.

To keep up with the others you have to practice and race almost every single day. It's a complete grindfest like all the other massive multiplayer games where it's not about skill anymore but only who can put in the most time.

Even when you're around iRating 1800 (which isn't that much) people just follow the racing line like robots. F1 drivers are sloppy compared to the average iRacing guys, it's insane. I had my fun with it, loads of fun even, but I'm glad I had to take a break from it when we moved to another city and kind of went cold turkey on it because only then I realized how much time I put into it.

SRS is much more laid back. You can decide at 06:00 that you want to join a race at 08:00, practice a bit and then be part of that race. At least when you've got some experience. That's actually more "real" (you can't practice every single day in real life) and also more healthy for you and your social life ;-)
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
(09-18-2018, 09:45 PM)Simon Meisinger Wrote:  You can decide at 06:00 that you want to join a race at 08:00, practice a bit and then be part of that race. At least when you've got some experience.
You can do the exact same on iRacing Huh To me it sounds like you are the one who took it way too serious Smile

Personally I'm not on iRacing anymore because I don't race that much to justify the cost (which btw. have risen over 20% since I left 2013, dollar was cheap back then)

Imo iRacing does pretty much everything -things which I find relevant for competive racing - better than AC. But SRS have done such good job I don't think much of going to iRacing anymore. Fun racing here too  Heart
Well said, Bruno. I think the reason you find a constant stream of full grids in iRacing is specifically due to sunk cost fallacy. I think most drivers on iRacing know they threw a bunch of money at their account and their subscription and feel like if they don't use it they will have been wasting their money. They aren't wrong, of course... but they are just throwing more and more time and money at it because now they are invested.

It's no different than folks paying large subscription fees for MMOs; players become invested because they've poured time and money into growing their virtual coffers and to cut bait and simply stop playing would mean they wasted all that time and money! Even if there are better games out there available and they stopped enjoying it months and months ago. Smile
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(09-18-2018, 10:49 PM)Jim Canna Wrote:  You can do the exact same on iRacing Huh To me it sounds like you are the one who took it way too serious Smile

A little bit of both maybe Big Grin

At least when I was on iRacing I couldn't just join a race with some practice. I would qualify last with half a second difference to the guy in front of me. At least towards the end of the week.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Well you could have joined anyway, someone always has to finish last and race is the best practise Smile

But you're right, the average skilllevel on iRacing is probably much higher than around here.
(09-19-2018, 05:19 PM)Jim Canna Wrote:  Well you could have joined anyway, someone always has to finish last and race is the best practise Smile

But you're right, the average skilllevel on iRacing is probably much higher than around here.

But what about my precious iRating!?!?! Big Grin
You guys care too much about ratings. It's about having fun racing, not grinding for some score Smile
I really like some aspects of iRacing (the net-code is pretty solid, the behaviour is well above average, etc) and dislike other aspects (the payment model and the side-effects of that, the placeholder penalty system) and I was finding it really compelling, but I eventually realised that much of what I found compelling was Sunk Cost and design tricks intended to keep me playing. So I let my subs expire, and now I don't really see me going back to it.
(09-20-2018, 12:22 PM)Neil de Guzman Wrote:  what seems to be suggested
You're just making things up. Have fun Big Grin