Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just an opinion about faster drivers
There might be a lot of drivers who disagree with me, but I actually sometimes think its for the best to let faster drivers pass me.
Today I did race on Spa (DTM) and got P2 after qualification. Ethan Dean was in pole. I did get a fantastic start, and got into the lead, but half way trough the first lap I did let Ethan pass me pretty easy. Why did I do that?
Well, I knew that that he were faster than me (qual time) so its my view that its no point in fighting back and risking an incident. Better to let the faster guy pass, so we wount slow each othe down. This way I got 98 points, which Im quite happe with. If this was later in the race, I would of course fight harder.
I think more drivers should think like this, trying to fight a clearly faster driver is pointless, you only risk incidents.

Erik
+1
It is normal and common sense to know your limits, especially when you make a perfect qualy but you know that it is not your race time.
This philosophy is not forever! The practice will reduce the GAP of times and therefore the fights, little by little will become more habitual.
And as you say, it depends on the race moment.
+0.25

A race is a race. If someone qualifies on pole (or top 3 at least) they should be good enough to pass with care and not cause an incident. Make them work for their win, they might make a mistake and spin off at some point in the race. If you're close enough you can capitalise on that if you hold them up fairly for longer.
If someone out-qualifies you by 0.2 seconds it might have been a fluke lap. I've seen it quite often, been out-qualified by a fair bit but they just don't have race pace or they can't keep it on track.
Of course there are aliens out there, in which case I won't even bother slowing myself down trying to keep them behind, thus the +0.25 ?
I'm sure I'm not an alien, but I've seen people let me pass easily in the past. It feels sad really, like what happened? It's not fun winning a race having the next car half a lap behind. It's not much different than doing endless laps on my own. I race to race. I've been with aliens in the past and I try to at least keep up with them. It's good training if you are aiming for something. Anyways, please don't butcher me if my opinion is different from everybody else... We have a lot less to loose when we crash compared to real life racing. And I'm not the guy who swears against another driver when an incident happen. I guess that's where I am coming from. Others do get angry very easily... I know...
it is not easy theme, when not many knows other competitors it is safer from point view (negative especialy) not try too hard hold position, sooner or later there will be contact which in such a short races mean usualy end at last position so no score points to standings ,  when you are in league where you know how others behave on track, then you make fight more

like here where i raced friend which i know since GPL era many years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11xlNTpc....be&t=3411
so it is OK when clerly slower but make all to hold faster behind? by changing lines many times on straight, closing doors etc????

hmmm, very "sporting"
It's a judgment call. Erik took it and decided to let him pass.
I'd look at it on a case by case basis. If i was in a similar situation, I would not let him pass easily, unless he qualified well over a second ahead of me. Also, it's not as if Spa is too tight to overtake without taking an incident. So even if you would fight him, there's plenty of room for a clean overtake. If he was clearly faster, he would've easily get passed you.

"trying to fight a clearly faster driver is pointless, you only risk incidents." - This by default would never be my approach. By racing you risk incidents.

@Luca: You can't exactly compare an F1 race in Monaco with a DTM'90s race @ Spa...
In my opinion, you shouldn't let another driver pass you simply because of his quali. If a driver is faster, he should manage to overtake you without ending in an accident. This is racing, and fighting for positions is a big part of it. What is the point if you drive along with noone around? If you are on 1st and the faster driver behind you is constantly attacking and you see the guy on 3rd getting close, it might be a good idea to let the faster driver pass to save 2nd. I also let others pass, if I notice that they get inpacient and take risky moves or id they are a lot faster. But I don't feel like let someone pass "just in case".

And for sure, the SRS rating is not meant to make you avoid risks in that way to get safe points.
Thrustmaster TX, 599XX Evo Rim, T3PA, TH8A, Playseat Evo M White, Sparco Meca 3 Gloves |  Xeon X5650@4,4GHz (6C/12T), ASUS P6T SE, 12GB DDR3, Asus R9 380, 32'' Grundig Hamburg FHD TV | i5-6600k@4,6GHz, MSI Z170A M5, 16GB DDR4, HIS RX 480, 27'' 1440p 144Hz FreeSync Monitor | AC, AMS, R3E, RF2
Damn, only just saw this because of Lennart's bump. I remember the race. I was hoping for a bit of a battle, but I respect not wanting to risk fighting. I will say though, defense is fun... I remember a 911 Cup race at Spa. Guy in P2 was quite a bit faster than me, but I just kept taking defensive lines and I’d never concentrated so hard on positioning. I held that guy off like that for seventeen whole minutes of pressure and it was an exhilarating win. I really wish I didn’t lose the replay.

So yeah, I was a bit bummed, as I much prefer to fight, but I respect it.