Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race series with caps on rating and incident average
I did some quick plots for Assetto Corsa based on the data from 2/16/18 (I was too lazy grab the most recent data).
A quick X-Y scatter plot of Road Rating vs. Incident average showed the following.
[Image: 143p7au.jpg]
A definite correlation that safe drivers are higher rated.
If I trim it so that I limit the pool to drivers with <2.0001 incidents (safe/respectful racers) and a rating of >150.0001 (to show active users) i get the following plot.
[Image: 2mz0c9k.jpg]
There's still a correlation, but it's no where near as strong. Essentially, once incident averages go below 2.000, the main variable that will affect ratings are finishing and driver skill/speed/consistency.
This pool of drivers is approximately 1300 drivers.
It would be nice to see something limiting entry into invents based on "incident average" first and/or possibly also including a "driver rating" as an additional filter. I'd definitely like to see some events based on "incident ratings". This would minimize T1 pile ups.
I'm usually a mid pack runner, but now prefer qualifying back pack so I don't get taken out in T1 by sloppy drivers. Unfortunately, I'm not fast enough to be in the top-5 where it's a little bit safer, though still dangerous.
I think the whole concept of driver rating is specifically to take into account both performance and incident average. I think the problem is that the math doesn't currently jive with that. I don't think creating another event requirement based solely on incident average is the solution... but rather to see about adjusting what the value of driver rating is such that using that as a gate to safe racing has some meaning. I'm no mathematician, so I would barely know where to start to do such a thing.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
I have a real problem with the incident rating.

As I am often racing in the middle to back of the pack, I am often hit by racers at the first corner and those who don't know about breaking earlier when following people.

I have an incident rating of just under 3 but consider my self to be one of the cleaner racers as almost none of my contacts are my fault or at least are shared responsibility.  Often I wont bother reporting as there is a policy of  not removing incidents no matter what the result.

For instance, I had a race where off the line I was catching the car in front, he then swerved as he thought he was getting to close to the wall.  I eased off the throttle and the car behind me took no avoiding action spinning me round to be hit by 4 other cars, then one more as they drove back on to the track.  This gives me 6 incidents because I avoided hitting the muppet in front.
(04-13-2018, 11:56 AM)Tim Cullingworth Wrote:  I have a real problem with the incident rating.

As I am often racing in the middle to back of the pack, I am often hit by racers at the first corner and those who don't know about breaking earlier when following people.

I have an incident rating of just under 3 but consider my self to be one of the cleaner racers as almost none of my contacts are my fault or at least are shared responsibility.  Often I wont bother reporting as there is a policy of  not removing incidents no matter what the result.

For instance, I had a race where off the line I was catching the car in front, he then swerved as he thought he was getting to close to the wall.  I eased off the throttle and the car behind me took no avoiding action spinning me round to be hit by 4 other cars, then one more as they drove back on to the track.  This gives me 6 incidents because I avoided hitting the muppet in front.

Mine is 3.2 and has always been that for my whole SRS career 500 starts, I consider myself "clean" too, i'll take resposibility for half of those so that makes me a 1.5 but 3 is fine anyway, it has no indication of what kind of safe driver you are, only how much contact per race average and 3 is fine, it could mean anything from punted to rammed to running off the track into a wall, unsafe entry back onto track, all sorts of things 3 could mean. I had a friend was qual, up front most, his INC. rating was (5) before 100 starts because of bad luck...
A limit of 2 is a bit too strict, I'd say (I'm at 1.7 right now, so I'd have no personal problem with it) as I know there are a lot of clean and fast guys with ratings of around 3.

But overall, I'd say that's a great idea.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
hmmm very, very slowly goinf from 3 (gained by crashers at begining of my racing here) under 2.0 more than 1 year, last weeks more wreckers come here and the lovering of crash ratio go down very slowly Sad
2-3 incident average clean racer checking in. I don't really think that number helps clarify all that much. I'd say anything below 5 and it is quite possible you are plenty clean. Shit happens and has been stated multiple times on the forums: there's no way to automatically decide who should actually get dinged for collisions.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
So, i have 32 starts with an incident average of 1.263. I'm rated at 469.79 right now.

Of those 32 starts, 2 are top 3, and 16 are top 10.

I'm pretty clearly a middle pack person. I've been rear ended and taken out in the rear a few times, but I'm finding that I'm much safer in erring caution with my driving style. I don't fight for positions as much, and rather than trying to execute unsafe passes, I try to force the guy in front of me to make an error by keeping the pressure on. If someone behind me is clearly faster, I just let them go by and see if I can keep up with them. If they start gapping me after 2-3 laps, then they should definitely be in front of me. If I keep them behind me, then they'll either get impatient and try toe execute an unsafe pass, causing an incident, or I'll get distracted driving in my mirrors the whole time and make an error, losing the position anyway.

I'm finding that I now rather prefer to qualify bottom 18-24 rather than 8-14 in a field of 24. The worst place to qualify is middle pack because all the slow guys in the back will mess up T1 and take out the mid-pack qualifiers. If you just qualify back of the pack, you can hang back and drive around the T1, T2, and T3 incidents and find yourself fairly consistently sitting 10-15 mid-pack by the end of the first 2 laps. You're clearly not going to win the race that way, but if you're qualifying mid-pack 2-3 seconds off of the leader, you were never going to win anyway. The keep point is to finish the race without incident and aim for a top 10 finish (my own strategy and goals).

The other thing I notice about mid-pack qualifiers is that there's a decent amount of them that can only get in 1 or 2 fast qualifying laps, but can't hold that pace consistency through a 20 minute race or 1hr race where you now have to manage tire wear and overall concentration and focus. So, for those people, I usually find them off on their own stuffed into a wall at the trickier high speed blind corners. I pass them later. I don't need to be faster, I just need to be more consistent and have the endurance and focus, and that's where a 1hr race pays off - for those races, I definitely prefer to qualify in the back. You aren't going to win the race in the first 3 laps, but you can certainly lose it.

I usually do qualifying laps on full race fuel load and the tires I intend to run, rather than soft tires and minimal fuel load. It artificially places me further back (sandbagging of sorts).
You just described pretty much my entire experience, and strategy to deal with things. Are you me?