Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kicking high then 150 ping players.
As someone who has raced on SRS for well over 250 races with pings of 230 to the US servers and 340 to the EU servers from Australia, the warping you guys witness isn't caused by sheer millisecond response time, not unless you're operating above 500ms which shouldn't be happening anywhere in the world.

The cause of it is mainly packet loss and unstable connections. AC plays fine with stable pings but with a bit of variance, warping occurs. You can get this even if you're under this arbitrary 150ms limit if you're constantly hopping between 30 and 140 ms ping. If you're on a wireless connection or a weaker connection with bandwidth that is being eaten up by other people using your internet connection, you could be next door to the server and still be warping around.

The fact is that on a service like this with AC's less than ideal netcode, you're going to come across racers who warp. The best way is to play it safe all the time. I've been involved in countless good battles with people across the world on SRS because I'm cautious enough to know where to place my car to avoid contact and even then leave additional room on top of that to account for the ping. I hold a incident rating of just over 2, which is OK for someone often involved in midfield battles and better than many European racers. Good, safe but competitive racecraft can make up for ping differences, and while that can never be guaranteed on SRS, clean online racing is of course the number 1 reason this service exists.

If SRS maybe made it more clear in the rules for those people from outside Europe for the EU servers and outside the Americas on the US servers that they need to be more considerate when racing and maybe have harsher penalties applied if they drive too aggressively, that could help lower some lag related incidents.

Without any closer servers the small but still active Asia/Oceania SRS playerbase would be lost and the US server numbers would be hit hard without people from outside that continent able to join. And in reality not many from outside Europe would join races at peak European hours, so for most people accessing the service in Europe the impact of high pings should be minimal anyway.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kicking high then 150 ping players. - by Justin Talent - 08-06-2018, 07:23 AM