Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BMW M3 E30 "Track guide" - Brands Hatch @ SRR/SRS
This is my attempt at a "track guide" for the BMW M3 E30 at Brands Hatch in the SimRacingRevolution series. As it was discussed on a topic of the forum (to make track guides), i decided to record this while i was making my basic setup for the tyres and so on. There s not much to toy with the setup, so as long as you have the semi-slick tyres, you should have a very similar behavior. It's 1st on RSR's leaderboard with this 1:46.1, 20 min tank and the regular SRS track conditons, but not much competition on it so far and it can be improved, i feel getting into the 1:45 is possible to me, and im sure some could do it.

Anyway, the main difficulty with this car on this track i believe, is finding what gear you should be in, as the 4th is very long compared to 3rd and sometimes you have to make a compromise, especially going into 3rd can often lock your rear as a result of the long gear ratio (and differential), so you have to be very mindful of what you are unleashing on downshifts.

Onto the corner specifics, the tricky ones i think with this combo (i use the app that name them in the video)

Paddock Hill : It's always a difficult corner but with this car it's deadly, basically you want to brake as much as possible with the wheels straight, then start release your brake just a little, turn in, and quickly as you do totally release it or the car is gonna continue to rotate, doesn't end up well. It's very easy to loose the rear on the hill, i did 3 times in a row at the beginning because i had too much steering input and/or i was shifting down too fast (GT3 bad habit), yet it defines a lot of how your laptime is gonna look like in the end and more importantly if you are ending up in the "beach" or not.

Graham Hill : Nothing really special, just make sure to not go on the right curb before you turn in, cause as soon as you do, you will spin the back on it. It's something you shouldn't do with any car, except this one has no TC at all of course, so keep in mind you won't get away with it.

Surtees : Usual technique to me, i like to brake deep into the corner, some might have different approach to it, like squeezing it earlier, otherwise make sure you are in second gear as you cross it, or you will loose a lot of time when going up the hill.

Hawtorn Hill: Brake around the "1" mark or just before the be safe, imo it's very dangerous to downshift into 3rd there, it was unsettling the car for me, and you shouldn't loose time (i compared) if you manage to catch the apex in 4th, which is still a challenge because you are getting massive understeer.

That's all i can think of so far apart from the video itself, i ve put up this quick app layout in AC so there s the gears, names of the corners and time in the middle of the screen, also included two different views of the lap. It's nowhere near perfect but i hope it's at least a decent base to maybe train more effectively for some. Let me know what you think, if it was any help, your grandma is faster and whatnot.

Messages In This Thread
BMW M3 E30 "Track guide" - Brands Hatch @ SRR/SRS - by James Blint - 05-23-2018, 05:27 AM