Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server 1
Hi Chaps.
Just a suggestion to throw out there but I have noticed that server 1 runs with the same settings as the other servers (ex:- 100% tyre/fuel 60% damage) could server 1 be set with a higher damage setting?
I strongly disagree. It really does not matter which server you're on, since you'll eventually get killed by someone anyways.
In the past I already expressed that I'm shocked by the way people behave in the topsplit because I thought that once you reach a certain rating and therefore the topsplit, you'll become a decent driver aswell. My experience tells another story. As long as you don't want your race to end even earlier then after getting spun/ punted etc, I do not think it's a wise choice.
Not to mention, the more damage that is done, the sooner idiots have the ability to knock you out of the race. It is a common misconception that the riskier careless driving is, the more careful people will be... The opposite is true, sadly.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(this is of course hypothetical not an actual want, as has been said the standard in some races is kinda questionable at times and this would just exasperate things)

How about an increase in all servers?  but making server 1 obviously higher in all aspects, those that inherently drive like a numpty will very quickly become bored of driving into a barrier only to find it no longer aids cornering ability and they lose a wheel.

If you have ever watched a race in some series from the back its amazing some even complete the start straight! but after 20 or so hits off of differing objects they still have ability to move the car
(09-19-2018, 12:45 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  It is a common misconception that the riskier careless driving is, the more careful people will be... The opposite is true, sadly.

And how do you know that?
It's based on the analysis of the game mechanics that benefit or discourage poor player behavior. I shall break it down:

If someone has little to no regard for the safety of themselves or others in a sim race, what is the most efficient use of their time in a sim race? Answer: be super aggressive at the very beginning, and IF YOU SURVIVE, keep racing. If you don't survive, simply leave the server and go about being a horrible human being outside of sim racing as soon as possible.

Given this premise, a careless driver will be incentivized to be as aggressive as possible the earlier in the race it is in general. If the result of this aggression is an immediate DNF, then they will care less about the amount of time they wasted in the race. The longer they survive the LESS an efficient use of their time it is to be dangerous to themselves and others. 

A side benefit of keeping damage percentages down is that if certain drivers are going to behave badly REGARDLESS of the damage percentage*, it is better to allow those they harm to continue racing if they so choose. And since the offender actually survives early incidents, they will at least be incentivized to continue the race and possibly learn a little race craft, instead of bailing immediately and going off to torture kittens and puppies in real life.

I am speaking strictly of car on car impacts. Drivers that simply don't have the skill to do 10 laps in a row without going into a wall is a totally different subject, in my mind.

*Different premise than I'm posing above. I actually think that careless asshole drivers don't think about their time efficiency at all, nor do they pay attention to damage percentage. This new premise is specifically to make sure that those that can put up with a few assholes punting them off the track will still get to keep racing for the next 19.5 minutes instead of getting a DNF because someone t-boned them T1 Lap1 through no fault of their own.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(09-19-2018, 03:07 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  It's based on the analysis of the game mechanics that benefit or discourage poor player behavior. I shall break it down:

If someone has little to no regard for the safety of themselves or others in a sim race, what is the most efficient use of their time in a sim race? Answer: be super aggressive at the very beginning, and IF YOU SURVIVE, keep racing. If you don't survive, simply leave the server and go about being a horrible human being outside of sim racing as soon as possible.

Given this premise, a careless driver will be incentivized to be as aggressive as possible the earlier in the race it is in general. If the result of this aggression is an immediate DNF, then they will care less about the amount of time they wasted in the race. The longer they survive the LESS an efficient use of their time it is to be dangerous to themselves and others. 

A side benefit of keeping damage percentages down is that if certain drivers are going to behave badly REGARDLESS of the damage percentage*, it is better to allow those they harm to continue racing if they so choose. And since the offender actually survives early incidents, they will at least be incentivized to continue the race and possibly learn a little race craft, instead of bailing immediately and going off to torture kittens and puppies in real life.

I am speaking strictly of car on car impacts. Drivers that simply don't have the skill to do 10 laps in a row without going into a wall is a totally different subject, in my mind.

*Different premise than I'm posing above. I actually think that careless asshole drivers don't think about their time efficiency at all, nor do they pay attention to damage percentage. This new premise is specifically to make sure that those that can put up with a few assholes punting them off the track will still get to keep racing for the next 19.5 minutes instead of getting a DNF because someone t-boned them T1 Lap1 through no fault of their own.
Priceless!! Big Grin
(09-19-2018, 03:07 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  *Different premise than I'm posing above. I actually think that careless asshole drivers don't think about their time efficiency at all, nor do they pay attention to damage percentage. This new premise is specifically to make sure that those that can put up with a few assholes punting them off the track will still get to keep racing for the next 19.5 minutes instead of getting a DNF because someone t-boned them T1 Lap1 through no fault of their own.

This sounds plausible to me Big Grin 

But then why on iRacing - where you can bend suspension or steering rods just by slight contacts - the majority of the races seem to be going well?
(09-19-2018, 05:29 PM)Jim Canna Wrote:  
(09-19-2018, 03:07 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  *Different premise than I'm posing above. I actually think that careless asshole drivers don't think about their time efficiency at all, nor do they pay attention to damage percentage. This new premise is specifically to make sure that those that can put up with a few assholes punting them off the track will still get to keep racing for the next 19.5 minutes instead of getting a DNF because someone t-boned them T1 Lap1 through no fault of their own.

This sounds plausible to me Big Grin 

But then why on iRacing - where you can bend suspension or steering rods just by slight contacts - the majority of the races seem to be going well?
just seems Smile

a lot of asshole and much more agressive drivers in Iracing I think Smile

in SRS there are more rookies ...
Because people pay actual money and not just time for the service, and you can, as far as I know, be banned permanently without any refunds given for any car/track purchases. Here, you can get banned permanently but I am guessing that SRSAdmin doesn't spend a lot of his time making absolutely sure that someone he has banned doesn't create a new account with new credentials the next day. And you won't be missing any cars or tracks you purchased since those are outside of the SRS service completely.

Also, iRacing has this: https://d3bxz2vegbjddt.cloudfront.net/me...1029.3.pdf

And SRS has this: http://www.simracingsystem.com/regulation.php

I think a whole lot of asshats that stumble into SRS simply don't even know they are SUPPOSED to behave. They are just playing Burnout Paradise with others.