Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mazda 787B setups
I was asked about my setup and thought here's best place to share for any interested. I also need to say I'm not 787B expert (or any car what so ever).
Anyway, this setup is what I consider stable and easy and I used this in spa but with slight changes it's what I always use..

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApyQNnG8ADpeoswmy73tkJtUPJlD6w

Maybe you guys can share your own vision how to deal with 787(beast) in this thread too?

! edit: I changed gears a bit (4th longer for eau rouge) but still a lot to gain with correct/better gearing! Note that this change is not included in setup.
thanx for sharing Ilari,

Going to try it now. Did my first race yesterday in this beast of a car after fiddling with my setup all afternoon and still are 8 to 9 secs off the pace of the fastest guys Sad
Most time i seem to lose on Eau Rouge, i take it in 4th gear but way to slow. Had heeps of trouble and fighting the car every corner with understeer and after that oversteer. Managed to end the race in the same lap as the winner...

Let you know if it is an improvement for me Cool
the car is very specific to drive, yes sometimes oversteers and in some places heavily understeer (to me )
Sorry to say that your setup didn't work for me. The car was more backwards on the circuit then the right direction.....

Doesn't matter, was worth a shot for me and thanx for sharing. I seriously think this car is not good for me. I should stick to GT3 Big Grin
I really like your setup. It feels kinda like mine but I use yours anyways as I just got used to it now Big Grin

I think it's very balanced when you set the brake balance to 60%
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
Guys what PSI should 787b tyres be hitting for max grip? I've been getting rears at 32 and fronts low 28s should I be aiming for 35psi all round?

When you trail brake, the extra front bias is awesome. 58% im happy currently.

Whereas on the default brake bias you're just going to keep locking up the fronts and going wide or more likely to spin and understeer. Trail braking is a must. I also put my brake pressure down to 98 and have my brake gamma at around 2.89 but then again I've got a GTeye progressive spring mod that lets me feel the brakes lockup before they do.

I also stiffen the arb front to 7 and pretty much max the front downforce. Might want to stiffen rear by one as well, so 7,4 or 7,3 upto you. Note this means you cannot run over kerbs like they're nothing, you have to respect your track limits and you'll be granted more grip! Qualified 4th in the laguna seca race, ran out of time. But came second in the race by around 0.010 seconds. No joke. Fun combo
Hm, need to give that a try. The setup seems super important at Laguna Seca.
Amazing list of awesome achievements: 5th Lotus 25 2018, 4th DRM 2019, 5th Williams FW14 vs. Ferrari 643 2019, 3rd Ferrari 312T vs. Lotus 72D 2020
I have been asked about my setup a few times, so I thought I'd post my setups I used in the races so far here for anyone interested. Nothing too fancy, less rear wing, adjusted mechanical balance to my taste, but a bit more towards understeer to possibly run a little less wing and to be able to cope with the soft tyres when the rears suddenly fall off after a few laps. Made the aero work closer to the ground and used bumpstops to make sure it doesn't get too low and stall (was mostly needed at spa through eau rouge).

For the front splitter only the 0-2 settings are useful, 0 for low-aero like at monza, 1 and 2 kinda give similar downforce overall, but 2 seems more consistent, with 1 giving more / too much downforce during braking and maybe less on throttle. No idea when you would ever use a 3 or 4 front splitter setting, since they give less downforce than 1 or 2 and just increase drag.

Softs are the only viable tyres for a 20 minute race. Mediums might not have as sudden of drop in grip as the softs do some laps in, but after 20 minutes probably reach a similar wear level and are just overall slower. Hards would probably become viable when the race was at least like double as long or so.

Gears and pressure adjustments for each track, Spa and Mugello setups should otherwise be identical. Monza with low wings obviously. I used 1° more rear wing for a little more stability at Laguna Seca, since the drag penalty is non-existant there with the short straights, same thing at Imola with the straight not being too long there either.

If the setup just feels too unstable, try with 1° more rear wing, you'll be a bit slower on the straights, but it should make it more predictable to drive.

Attached Files
.zip   787b setups.zip (Size: 2.76 KB / Downloads: 128)
I would have never noticed that front splitter 3 and 4 don't add any actual advantage, thank you! I just set it on 4 at Laguna Seca and adjusted the rear wing accordingly without actually testing if there's a difference between 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Thank you very much Patrick Brown for sharing your setups. Not all of drivers are so kind. Some think these are Top Secret files...
But I think it just would help other drivers to improve and make the competition more interesting.
In fact today I improve 1 sec my pace time and my fast lap in Imola just by using your setup.
Obviously I'm from Earth and I cannot get those low 1:38s that you from Outerworld can get, I just have to get along with high 1:39s.
Cheers and thanks again.