Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Caterham Academy Setups?
By having a title and reasonably amount of wins on this car, I feel safe to share my experience.

I think the secret adjustment for it is having a high and optimized preload due to low horsepower, and being gentle with steering at turn in to follow the grip and try to make turns the more rounded you can, because understeer is not induced: the car is really understeer by itself. Every change else, like camber, toe and ride are minimal.
FFB calibration on lower torque maybe help, too, on getting the grip and correct rear end when you induce oversteer by punching the car into the corner and you need to recover to a changing direction.The FFB will give you the precise amount of correction. A good exercise to it is, offline, try to punch the steering wheel and then change direction on straights like you were warming tires up. Adjust your FFB to give you the fastest response possible.

If you are mastering to catching it, then try it on turn in. If you punch, try being gentle with lifting throtle off to not stress the rear end. Sometimes it acts likewise a FWD when you induce oversteer by lifting off the throttle. Then, you should correct the weight balance by pushing it again. That is another thing that higher preload can help too, because it helps subtly transfer weight. You should be staring me right now and saying: "Damn, why you should apply more preload if it's already understeer?", but this car is very unintuitive in this area because you cannot adjust its dampers to do so. It is very easy to make mistakes if you are not gentle enough with it. I see myself sometimes making these mistakes and lose consistency. The worst enemy of this car is overdriving.

This car is amazing. It is a true academy car, that teaches you drive giving you new kinds of moves. Maybe if I hadn't experience with some FWD sim-cars, I could have learnt that things with Caterhams. At least, it gave me more experience in Assetto Corsa, which I was not used to race in.

Thanks to SRS and supporters for having that opportunity to compete with those funny cars.
See you, guys.
Eduardo Sá (ºLº)
Great information from the fastest man on the track. Thanks for sharing.
(07-19-2018, 12:36 PM)David Weber Wrote:  Great information from the fastest man on the track. Thanks for sharing.

I noticed he didn't include the setup..lol
(07-19-2018, 12:44 PM)Michael Butler Wrote:  
(07-19-2018, 12:36 PM)David Weber Wrote:  Great information from the fastest man on the track. Thanks for sharing.

I noticed he didn't include the setup..lol

Well. Sometimes I give setups that may do not fit within the piece between the steering wheel and the seat, then they say that it is lame or bullshit. LOL
That is for Brands Hatch Indy. Probably, it is not going to fit on Paul Ricart, because tarmac is different and you have to low down tire pressures, change the ride and use less preload.

P.S.: This is for LHD. If you use RHD, please, change inside setup. Then, rename file extension to .ini .

Attached Files
.txt   race tst.txt (Size: 647 bytes / Downloads: 80)
Eduardo Sá (ºLº)
Thank You sir!....I'll give it a go....haven't tried it yet but I do notice some things right away that are extraordinary to me.....40 DIFF preload and 22 tire pressure..hmm, interesting...ty again.
Ty I'try, i made 0.59 with default setup
Don't get too fancy with the setups there is an update incoming once I finish the Academy in week or two as right now you're driving probably a reskinned 1700.
As such for next championship it's likely you will have to redo your setups.

Is there some settings you wish was open to editing in setup? Or was not allowed to be changed?

I will try and lock everything down as per regulations but probably keep dampers open to editing for more interesting racing as we don't have the precise damper values to use, no one knows them not even the racing teams and drivers. Billstein not gonna give 'em up to us Wink

If you have some good well thought out suggestion, comment  or real data of any Caterham send it to me on RaceDepartment. If it's about the model or sounds etc. send it to Ben.
where to install caterham academy assetto corsa  ?
Same place you put all your car mods:

[yourSteamPath]\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\

Should look like this if you have it in there correctly:

[yourSteamPath]\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\bo_caterham_academy_lhd
[yourSteamPath]\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\bo_caterham_academy_rhd
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz