Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
New AC Series coming May 7!!
(05-07-2018, 01:43 PM)Rafael Jimenez Wrote:  Waiting for the calendar of the national championships SmileSmileSmile

UPSSSS

"The car and calendar will match the 1 hour Euro championship held at 20:00 GMT (GT3 )"
[quote pid='14163' dateline='1525647323']
Russell SobieIf the setups are fixed, then much less than half of the sim racing is about setups! One might say ALL of it might actually be about the racing part. The real irony is the setup interface Assetto Corsa is easily the worst car setup interface in any sim I've ever played. Big Grin

Fixed setup races is pretty common, especially in situations where the skill level of the racers is extremely variable... and racing here at SRS is certainly that. Most of us just download the most popular setups off of thesetupmarket and just practice with that until we figure out fuel. So even when it isn't fixed, it's still pretty fixed, and certainly doesn't require understanding and learning them. It helps tho!

[/quote]
Setups are big thing, the actual racing is just simply not a complete picture of racing. I also disagree about AC setup interface not being good, I have the opposite opinion. I think it is best. I would like to see more options, like for example caster, or even having an option to completely change tires, not only compound. But it probably would be too complex for everybody. 

Fixed setups are indeed common because lots of simracers has zero interest in engineering aspect of racing, which i repeat - is a huge part of racing. So naturally those people dislike the idea that some other drivers might gain an advantage because of knowledge in those things. Variety of skill is not an argument against setups, it is an argument in favor for setups, you can not say that being good with setups doesn't help to some slower guys to catch faster guys who are less into technical aspect of racing. 

Perhaps setup market is nice for people who doesn't want to learn making better setups. I have never tried it, but I always found it very enjoyable to discuss setups in forums and chat. Setups are not very valuable comparing to knowledge. 

[quote pid='14198' dateline='1525699963']
Miguel OliveiraThe fixed setup series still available to change:

Tyre Type. You can select all available types.
Fuel Amount
Brake Bias
Brake Power
Traction Control
ABS

Like last Aussiestig´s serie???

Ok... I understand everything else is a bit high tech for most... but tire pressures.... absolutely everyone should be able to set +/- correct tire pressures. I would also leave wheel alignment in. I'd say choosing tyre type is rather useless, ok when you have to choose between soft/hard, but when you have to race with cars with semislick/street tire... you know...

To sum up everything - fixed setups are bad thing, always. Perhaps the only good thing of it must be that you are pretty much prevented to make a setup worse Big Grin
[/quote]

Quick edit: Alfa GTA and F40 aren't fixed setups, so all is good Big Grin
[quote pid='14095' dateline='1525488851']
I'll request this again this season, as someone who does not know every car in AC by sight. Can this get added to the details for races at some point in the future? The graphic logo in the top left is cool, but for series where there are multiple cars and some of us are video game nerds and not gear heads, it's a nice QOL addition.

[Image: wuO6IWm.png]
[/quote]

I've made the same suggestion over and over for almost a year.  It's impossible to tell which cars are being used in the WEC races from the picture.
It is listed inside the game menu.. 

[Image: in_game_list_1.jpg]

[Image: in_game_list_2.jpg]
Ah... I knew I had seen it before. The "upcoming series" page looks nearly identical, so this whole time I've been like "why isn't it here?! I know I've seen it before!"

So I guess ideally the expansion on the upcoming series page should also include the table that is seen in the registration menu. Is that possible?

(05-07-2018, 05:44 PM)Mantas Isganaitis Wrote:  Setups are big thing, the actual racing is just simply not a complete picture of racing. I also disagree about AC setup interface not being good, I have the opposite opinion. I think it is best. I would like to see more options, like for example caster, or even having an option to completely change tires, not only compound. But it probably would be too complex for everybody. 

Fixed setups are indeed common because lots of simracers has zero interest in engineering aspect of racing, which i repeat - is a huge part of racing. So naturally those people dislike the idea that some other drivers might gain an advantage because of knowledge in those things. Variety of skill is not an argument against setups, it is an argument in favor for setups, you can not say that being good with setups doesn't help to some slower guys to catch faster guys who are less into technical aspect of racing. 

Perhaps setup market is nice for people who doesn't want to learn making better setups. I have never tried it, but I always found it very enjoyable to discuss setups in forums and chat. Setups are not very valuable comparing to knowledge. 

[snip]

Ok... I understand everything else is a bit high tech for most... but tire pressures.... absolutely everyone should be able to set +/- correct tire pressures. I would also leave wheel alignment in. I'd say choosing tyre type is rather useless, ok when you have to choose between soft/hard, but when you have to race with cars with semislick/street tire... you know...

To sum up everything - fixed setups are bad thing, always. Perhaps the only good thing of it must be that you are pretty much prevented to make a setup worse Big Grin

Lots to unpack here. Firstly, "racing" is exactly one thing in simracing... and that is actually being on a track trying to get by the guy in front of you while trying to keep the guy behind you behind you. Dealing with setups is only part of simracing because no one else is going to make changes to your car for you. The user has to do not only the racing, but also the engineering (note that these are two different things). But that's just you and I being too pedantic. Moving on.

Secondly, lots of people have zero interest in the engineering aspect of simracing because they don't want to simulate being an engineer. They want to simulate being a race car driver. In real life, there would be a bunch of people whose job it is it to take input from you (the driver) and make changes to the car so that you can drive around the track faster than you were before. If you want to simulate being an engineer and really enjoy it? Kudos! I don't have the time. I'd rather be racing cars... and baring that, I'd rather be painting them (check out my many threads in the Paint Shop here on the SRS forums!).

Thirdly, people that like fixed setups may fall into the camp that they don't want people's superior knowledge of the dark setup arts getting in the way of fairness. That is understandable... and I'm somewhat in that camp myself. I like the idea that all things being equal, who can drive THIS CAR the fastest. Not this car with this one thing tweaked so that you get a really good exit on turn 4, and that thing tweaked because you like to brake later than most, and this third thing tweaked because of blah blah blah, you get the idea. In fixed setups there is only one thing you have to do when you practice, and that's "run this car with this setup around this track until you figure out how best to go fast, and then figure out how to do it consistently during the race."

When setups are a part of it, practice then explodes in the amount of time you must take. Does that make the racing more casual? Yes. Is that a bad thing? Opinion.

If someone has access to decent setups and doesn't have to put in that practice time, then those of us that have bothered (in the past) to spend a bunch of time doing a setup are going to feel like they wasted their time. This is why in series where it is not fixed I just go in search of a popular setup for the car/track combo and then mostly treat it like a fixed series anyway. I practice my usual amount in that one setup, and then show up for the race. Sometimes I do okay, other times I lag behind the pack. I can only remember one time I beat people that are usually faster than me due to a setup, and that was one that I downloaded... not one that I created through my knowledge of setups. And the only reason I beat them was because thesetupmarket happened to be down the day of the race so no one else had access to it... but I grabbed it the day before! Big Grin

And I totally get the fun of discussing setups and whatnot. No complaints there. At one point I enjoyed figuring all that stuff out as well... now I just don't want to deal with the hassle.

And finally: The User Interface. The UI in AC is pretty poor overall (if you aren't using Content Manager, stop reading this and go download that front end now), but the setup interface is particularly bad. There is no reason for all of the tabs, especially since cycling between them can only be done by two tiny buttons on either side of your screen. They waste huge swaths of screen space with that setup. The UI doesn't scale to your resolution, which compounds the problem with the tabs... if the UI scaled, they wouldn't have to waste so much space. You can EASILY get every setup parameter for the most complicated cars in the game onto a single page at best, two pages at worst. Instead they are like... 12+ pages in some cases? And you have to be on a specific page for loading and saving? It is like they got a book on UI/UX design 101, and then page by page ignored everything in the book. I didn't bother with VR long enough to feel the horror of what VR players must endure when trying to do setups in AC.

I think back to rFactor 1's two pages of settings and how easy it was to quickly tweak a number of things and get back out on the track. Even PCars 1's interface was better, if I recall. I haven't tried 2's yet. Hell most of them are probably pretty garbage because most simulator developers don't hire UI/UX experts to do their interfaces. They cobble together something "that works" and that is what usually ships.

In short, open races are fine if you want to put in the (exponentially more) practice. But fixed races are also fine for those of us that do not. Or, for those of us that want a challenge to having to drive a car that was not literally custom built for their driving style. Or, for those of us that want to spend as little time in AC's travesty of a setup interface. Wink

Oh I almost forgot the other post: about the tire type the only reason that is open in fixed races is because there is a possible exploit where you can pit and take any tires you want (pitstops don't adhere to setup locks). Because it can't be policed, they just opened that up. Lots of people have mentioned the tire pressure being something they'd want access to. I wouldn't be opposed to that either, as that aspect of setup is about as simple as it comes, and for some reason most Default setups are garbage in that regard. Smile
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
To be fair on those who like set ups and not... AC set up pages are meh... or lets just say it straight up... Bland and not that easy for guys who will try it for the first time. Negative and positive cambers are not labeled or described properly... And it can only get worse car by car. I can be set up guy for my own good and that almost ends there. Not unless someone says "I like your set up, Neil!" I like open set ups, but I think that only falls to the technical racing side, like tactics and strategy in the pits etc also falls to that category... Sadly, like it or not, you will end up simulating an engineer and pit crew all by yourself in some of the series even if they implemented fixed set ups... It's an open book to take advantage of in my opinion, but then again... some may try to read it long time and still don't get the hang of it. I like the admin approach of trying to serve both parties... Leave it the way it is. Both sides have enough series to choose and stay happy...
(05-07-2018, 10:08 PM)Neil de Guzman Wrote:  It is listed inside the game menu..

So we have to open Assetto Corsa to find out what cars are included in the series.  So where are WE the end-users given THIS bit of information? 

Look, we already went through all that stuff when SRS didn't want to indicate on the series calendar which track variation was being used. 

This is inconvenient to the end-user, especially when all that is needed is for SRS to type a couple lines, or just cut and paste a list when they are putting the series calendar together.

Why can't we have all the information we need about a race in one place?
I think you are both right, i understand some just want to race and don't care about setups but in the real world, race drivers should also possess some knowledge about it, they know how they want their car to behave and what to interact with to achieve that, it's a big part of racing to be able to exchange with the team on the mechanical side of things.

I also believe most setups on the mp are terrible, wether because they were meant for outdated versions of AC (older than 1.16), which will totally screw up the values once loaded in a different version or because one particular setup does things you are not aware of since you didn't make the choices on purpose. Plenty are with ridiculously low aero and very agressive bias to begin with, which could be good for one guy on time trial and infinite retry on suicidal lap but not for racing 20m or 1h here, you have to completely change your driving style if you use that or be in trouble every turns. Im pretty sure those who only pick some randomly on the mp would be faster (and most importantly safer) with the default setup and really just the most basic adjustments (tyre / aero,..). This way fixed setup is a good thing and probably make the whole grid safer, i just don't agree with the tyre pressure lock, it's a frustrating restriction but this is just one opinion.
In my opinion, the creation of categories with open setup and closed setup achieves the goal that we must have in SRS, the increase of participation in terms of drivers.

However, a TOP pilot will be TOP in open categories as closed, basically for the more than 1000 hours devoted to simracing.

It is usual to train making changes in setup and improve your times, not by the modifications, but by the more than 60/70/100 laps that you have in the circuit. I think that reducing from 2 to 3 seconds is easy with practice and without making modifications in the setup.

However, in my opinion, there is no debate. There are open and closed categories for all tastes. Smile
I am in online simracing since 2002 , i driven many, many, many hours, but still away from to be top driver , so sometimes training is useles when there is a lack of talent