Sim Racing System
Empty servers - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Empty servers (/showthread.php?tid=7699)

Pages: 1 2

Empty servers - Isaac J Gal - 02-10-2020

Server 2 is often only about 5 people at sometimes. If this is happening, surely at makes sense to drag a few people from server 1 is to make for a far better race. It's very boring racing 3 people.

RE: Empty servers - Simon Meisinger - 02-12-2020

good idea, yes

RE: Empty servers - Borre Verdoes - 02-12-2020

Agreed.

RE: Empty servers - Pasha Paterson - 02-14-2020

Yes I've been surprised by the unevenness of the splits as well.
Since the minimum for an official race is 7 drivers, I wonder if the algorithm that handles splits could be changed to guarantee that each split has at least 7 drivers...?

Of course, even this change won't ensure that seven drivers would take the green flag, since we also see a lot of people either failing to show up, or dropping out in quali. But it's a start.

RE: Empty servers - Jason Jones - 02-14-2020

This topic has been brought up before, and I'm to lazy to find the thread for you. I'll just give you the gist of the thread as I remember it (which may not be 100% correctly btw).

The end result was that its more important to have a full grid on server 1. It provides more incentive to get better and move yourself up to server 1. There's no reason to penalize people on server 1, by putting them on server 2, just fill out server 2 because the point structure is different between the servers. Also, the people who are on server 1 deserve to have a full race compliment.

So just get better... Getting on server 1 is mostly tied to your overall rating and your points total in the championship.

RE: Empty servers - simracingsystem - 02-14-2020

and the 6 driver requirement doesn't apply to servers 2,3 and 4, it's always official, so you get the points and better performance than the drivers on the low end of split1.
So after some results you may find your way up to split 1.

RE: Empty servers - Pasha Paterson - 02-14-2020

True, I didn't consider the 80-point maximum on S2. Wouldn't it be better for those people, though, to have a shot at winning the split 2 race, vs. getting ~60 points for being at the tail of the split 1 race? Hmm.
Either way. As you say, it doesn't take very long for the folks who do well in S2 races to get their rating up into S1 anyway.

RE: Empty servers - Martin Smith - 02-14-2020

The current splitting method gives people a reason not to participate, as you often see signups quit a race before it starts when there's too few people to make up the 2nd server.

The worst case scenario of splitting servers evenly would be at Zandvoort where the max is 17 drivers per server. If 18 join, an even split means people would only race against 9 others. But a field of 9 cars is pretty common in many races already, but the better matching in this case should actually provide some better racing.

The existing split would award 69 points for P17 in server 1 and 80 points for the win in server 2, which is pretty reasonable IMO. OTOH the above worst-case alternative would award 82 points to P9 in server 1, which is still within reason.

If SRS could cater to the problems of mid-pack drivers like this, I think we could have more participation and therefore better, closer racing.

RE: Empty servers - simracingsystem - 02-14-2020

I don't agree.

2 races with 9 is worst than 1 race with 17.

RE: Empty servers - Martin Smith - 02-14-2020

What about an intermediate solution?

Say when the signups exceed the server spots by 1, then the bottom 6 get moved to server 2 all together. In the example of Zandvoort, that would leave 12 (enough to trigger a broadcast) in one and 6 in the other if no one else joined. So no official race would ever have fewer than 6 drivers?