Sim Racing System
Post your New Skins for Season Starting May 20th, 2019! - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Paint Shop (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Post your New Skins for Season Starting May 20th, 2019! (/showthread.php?tid=5900)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Post your New Skins for Season Starting May 20th, 2019! - Russell Sobie - 05-18-2019

Time for a new livery thread for the new season! Get hyped about Skip Barber... the texture map is SUPER simple, so anyone can get in on the fun of skinning this awesome ride. The Photoshop template is included with the download from RaceDepartment.

But you know me... I've got to Mudbox it up! So here's me knocking off the rust:

[Image: K9ROk7ul.png]
[Image: sskK16Im.png] [Image: K9ROk7um.png]

Share your new rides!

RE: Post your New Skins for Season Starting May 20th, 2019! - Michael Martin - 05-18-2019

Will do shortly. Love the videos as always

In the mean time have a question and i can't find a solution.

When painting with stencils, logos in particular. I get really low resolution effect. Now i have tried matching the stencil size to the map size. Different layers size/types and cannot get them to look smooth. My current work around has been get the placement right in Mudbox then get the high quality logos done in photoshop. This has been driving me nuts. Any ideas?
[Image: rdqAI6H.png]

RE: Post your New Skins for Season Starting May 20th, 2019! - Igor Relja - 05-18-2019

I've used to have this problem. My solution was to use 8k layer, high resolution (at least 2k) PNG for stencil, and fiddle around with different car/stencil zooms until I fit them. Don't know if it's the correct approach though, might be completely wrong, but it works for me Big Grin

RE: Post your New Skins for Season Starting May 20th, 2019! - Matteo Venuti - 05-18-2019

Can somebody send me the template of the TVR? The file "SKIN_00.dds" is trasparent and i can't modify it... (i use GIMP for making skins, so i don't know if is a problem of GIMP or if it's the file.

But i've arleady done the skin for the RSS F3, i need to do some little adjustement and it's ok (i like it, but these are my tastes, green and black)

[Image: 60345448_1098965536971912_57447496343669...e=5D590688]

RE: Post your New Skins for Season Starting May 20th, 2019! - Michael Martin - 05-18-2019

Thank you Igor will give that a try. Never went to 8k. I would normally just go straight to Photoshop but the TVR is too curvey.

Matteo that is certainly green and black. Can't help with your issue atm but will look into it.

Can't post the big pics yet but I did the Stigs mini you see on his banner Smile

Also have a stripe pack out for that car.

RE: Post your New Skins for Season Starting May 20th, 2019! - Matteo Venuti - 05-18-2019

(05-18-2019, 08:25 PM)Michael Martin Wrote:  Thank you Igor will give that a try. Never went to 8k. I would normally just go straight to Photoshop but the TVR is too curvey.

Matteo that is certainly green and black. Can't help with your issue atm but will look into it.

Can't post the big pics yet but I did the Stigs mini you see on his banner Smile

Also have a stripe pack out for that car.

ok, thanks anyway

RE: Post your New Skins for Season Starting May 20th, 2019! - Igor Relja - 05-18-2019

Yeah, I just export it to PNG and scale it down in PS to fit the skin.

Grunty boi is ready for punt fest, and it doesn't look too happy.  Cool  All black with few simple red accents. Cliche, but I like the combo. I'll probably change the number to simple red, without checkered pattern, and maybe wash out the flag a bit so it doesn't stick out that much since the car is (IMO) one of the angrier looking ones, but this should be it.

https://imgur.com/a/NlT5ZVp

Works well

RE: Post your New Skins for Season Starting May 20th, 2019! - Russell Sobie - 05-18-2019

(05-18-2019, 06:54 PM)Michael Martin Wrote:  When painting with stencils, logos in particular. I get really low resolution effect. Now i have tried matching the stencil size to the map size. Different layers size/types and cannot get them to look smooth. My current work around has been get the placement right in Mudbox then get the high quality logos done in photoshop. This has been driving me nuts. Any ideas?

You can try Igor's 8k solution, but I've been happy working in 4K and down rezing to 2k in Photoshop when I have everything done. I use 4K textures for all stencils too, and make the logos as big as needed to look smooth inside Mudbox. It may be too fast in my timelapses, but you can probably see I put a dozen or so things on a single 4K square for one stencil and they all come out looking okay.

I've also found that if you hover over the point on the car you want to paint on (logos or otherwise) and hit F to "Focus", it'll adjust the near and far clip plane in Mudbox so that you can paint more accurately on the surface in question. Then just zoom in as close as you can and adjust the stencil to fit.

Your solution of just roughing in logos in Mudbox and then doing them up right in Photoshop WILL work, but then you either have to stick to putting logos on flat UV areas of the map OR get really good with warp transformations.

Thanks for the input.
I use the same method for the stencils. 4096 squares. Have even tried logos at 4k each to see if that worked.
Bit of a weird one.
May have to post on the official forums.

F to focus is well used too. I pretty much work the same as you in Mudbox. Hours spent watching your videos!

The solution I have is far from ideal which is why I posted to see if others have had the same issue.