Sim Racing System
Another existential question - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Another existential question (/showthread.php?tid=4410)

Pages: 1 2

Another existential question - Pete Parisetti - 10-10-2018

First of all, thank you to all those who participated in the "Where does the time go?" discussion. It left me none the wiser (apart from - shame on me - learning that the MX5 is actually RWD...), but it made me feel less alone.
Now, more annoying questions.
Here I am, racing a guy in my kind of league (bottom of Server 1). He is slightly, very slightly slower than me, so a couple of times I manage to catch him with a better exit from a corner before a long straight. I get nearer - because I am already faster from the exit -, get close, use draft, and then make the move. We find ourselves door to door on the straight and I expect, carrying more speed from the better exit, to pass him easily. But, he keeps his foot down and... He actually goes faster than me, and by the end of the straight he has half a car advantage and I cannot pass him. This happened exactly like that, twice, in the last race. 
How on earth do you explain that? Changing gears on the MX5 is not rocket science (in terms of revs), and I don't use the auto clutch, which may penalise me slightly. Being a fixed setup race, you cannot invoke differences in that either. Where has the speed gone? What have I done wrong? 
Thanks

RE: Another existential question - Pawel Kusmierek - 10-10-2018

No idea... When I was in a similar situation (though my better exit was mostly due to the other guy making a mistake) I was consistently moving up and up on him throughout the straight until I got completely in front of him and the only thing that ultimately went wrong was that he braked to late and punted me off the track....

One thing that comes to my mind is that there are a few things that you can still adjust in "fixed setup" race . He might have had less fuel on board and benefit from being lighter (though I doubt this has so much of effect in MX5) or maybe higher tyre pressure gave him less grip (hence worse exits) but less rolling resistance so he could make up on straights?

RE: Another existential question - Dennis Ipenburg - 10-10-2018

Was he driving a shorter line? Did you move left/right on the straight? Or did you do anything else that could take some topspeed out of your car?
Based on the info that you give, it shouldn't be possible. But if you have to go off-line to pass him and the line you're taking is a bit more bumpy etc., then it would make sense he catches you on speed.

RE: Another existential question - Simon Merritt - 10-10-2018

(10-10-2018, 12:15 PM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  First of all, thank you to all those who participated in the "Where does the time go?" discussion. It left me none the wiser (apart from - shame on me - learning that the MX5 is actually RWD...), but it made me feel less alone.
Here I am, racing a guy in my kind of league (bottom of Server 1). He is slightly, very slightly slower than me, so a couple of times I manage to catch him with a better exit from a corner before a long straight. I get nearer - because I am already faster from the exit -, get close, use draft, and then make the move. We find ourselves door to door on the straight and I expect, carrying more speed from the better exit, to pass him easily. But, he keeps his foot down and... He actually goes faster than me, and by the end of the straight he has half a car advantage and I cannot pass him. This happened exactly like that, twice, in the last race. 
How on earth do you explain that? Changing gears on the MX5 is not rocket science (in terms of revs), and I don't use the auto clutch, which may penalise me slightly. Being a fixed setup race, you cannot invoke differences in that either. Where has the speed gone? What have I done wrong? 
Thanks

may seem silly but are you sure you were applying full throttle. Do you have the peddle app showing when racing? possibly you need to make adjustments to that. other than that you the other explanation is you are not changing gear as quick. I also find the car is quicker with traction control off although I suspect this is just out of the corner rather than down the straight.

RE: Another existential question - Jay Gabriel - 10-10-2018

I have noticed the same thing, even with A.I. off line.
 I just figured maybe the physics on the game allowed for some sort of side drafting effect........maybe?

RE: Another existential question - James Blint - 10-10-2018

Could be a number of things besides hardware related issues; tyre pressure, TC,.. more steering on exit due to having a different line or indeed tracking out on a bit more bumpy part, the exact moment you are shifting isn't trivial either, as in just looking at the leds, the power/torque bands are important to evaluate and memorize in the car specs menu (or CM). being even if ever so slightly more in the rev or torque range on exit can easily give you an advantage in a long straight.

RE: Another existential question - David Iglesias - 10-10-2018

Here is my bet: He did the corner in a higher gear than you, that's why you gained on him on the exit of the corner, but once you shfted up you lost time and he didn't as he already was on the correct gear.
In some cars, specially the ones that use clutch, the 'logical' gear is not always the best. When I practice I always try to take the corners on different gears on every lap comparing the delta time constantly. It really helps me to improve my time.

RE: Another existential question - Michael Butler - 10-10-2018

(10-10-2018, 12:15 PM)Pete Parisetti Wrote:  First of all, thank you to all those who participated in the "Where does the time go?" discussion. It left me none the wiser (apart from - shame on me - learning that the MX5 is actually RWD...), but it made me feel less alone.
Thanks

Manual shift is faster I think

RE: Another existential question - Russell Sobie - 10-11-2018

I think it is faster if you are good at shifting. If you are bad at shifting, auto-clutch is probably going to be substantially faster.

I am bad at shifting in pretend cars, but I don't have to bother; I don't have a clutch so auto-clutch is all I know.

RE: Another existential question - Andrea Martelli - 10-11-2018

tyres pressure?
Higher pressure means less resistance