Sim Racing System
SRS Broadcast is blurry - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: SRS Broadcast is blurry (/showthread.php?tid=3717)

Pages: 1 2

SRS Broadcast is blurry - Michael Butler - 07-09-2018

For weeks now, every time I try to watch a LIVE broadcast, it's too blurry to read the driver's name....what is the problem?

like this...

RE: SRS Broadcast is blurry - Russell Sobie - 07-09-2018

That looks like you've borked your youtube quality settings, and/or your bandwidth is being stolen by Russian Hackers.

RE: SRS Broadcast is blurry - Jaroslav Černý - 07-09-2018

Well the 720p60 certainly is more of a pre 2010 era quality where reading any text such as lap times from the blurriness is difficult but what you're showing is playing YouTube at 144p not even 240p. I guess learn to use YouTube or upgrade your connection?

RE: SRS Broadcast is blurry - Michael Butler - 07-09-2018

(07-09-2018, 04:26 PM)Jaroslav Černý Wrote:  Well the 720p60 certainly is more of a pre 2010 era quality where reading any text such as lap times from the blurriness is difficult but what you're showing is playing YouTube at 144p not even 240p. I guess learn to use YouTube or upgrade your connection?

So what you're saying is, no matter it was crystal clear 2 weeks ago, (running a 1080), that i have to "learn" how to use Youtube to fix it. Pretty sure the problem lies with the source. Youtube settings are set to AUTO, will try manual setting and connection is as high as Spectrum offers so that would be a no go on the upgrade.

RE: SRS Broadcast is blurry - Jaroslav Černý - 07-10-2018

Yeah exactly, YouTube gives you what ever it wants on auto, don't use auto if your connection is unstable or overloaded as then YouTube will automatically downgrade the quality. There wasn't 1080p on the broadcast, not in recent months. Only 720p.

RE: SRS Broadcast is blurry - Will Dawson - 07-10-2018

I've noticed the same with all youtube livestreams in recent weeks, auto seems to favour 144p no matter how good your connection is. I just remember to change the quality and it's smooth as butter. Just seems like Youtube always has to have a weird quirk, every few weeks it switches to something different but equally strange.

RE: SRS Broadcast is blurry - Jaroslav Černý - 07-10-2018

It auto detects your connection quality, even if you sometimes browse a recorded video not livestream and switch a lot back and forth in it to places where it has to get the data again and again it will drop down the quality when on auto so that it can buffer you that new and new seeking position faster. I bet it may do this even on very good connections, why? Because it saves YT bandwidth and other resources on their end of the connection.

There used to be browser plugins that could force specific things on YouTube including selected if available or minimal quality but YT changes so often almost none of the YT addons ever work for long.

There is nothing SRS can do about how you play YT or how YT sends you the stream.

You could always wait for end of stream and then download the best available version as file from YT if playback in web browser isn't working.

RE: SRS Broadcast is blurry - Stein Waage - 07-10-2018

The quality of encoding is of course relevant.
Example screenshot from youtube HD: https://i.imgur.com/fDv7SpY.jpg

I see SRS uses 720p as max resolution. My guess is that the computers they use to broadcast are a bit limited on resources and thus have not used 1080p as default and probably a bit "easy on CPU" encoder settings.

RE: SRS Broadcast is blurry - Ilari Siltanen - 07-10-2018

I've noticed same problem. Fullscreen is automated to 144 quality (or very low) and for my knowledge this shouldn't happen because normally I reach easy 50mbps speeds AND youtube or other sources work just fine..

RE: SRS Broadcast is blurry - Alex Leif - 07-10-2018

I have had this issue sometimes with YouTube where even on an excellent connection the auto setting just stays on the lowest setting.
Workaround: manually set the quality settings.