Sim Racing System
Caterham's driving wheel side - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Racing Series Discussion (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Caterham's driving wheel side (/showthread.php?tid=3554)

Pages: 1 2 3

Caterham's driving wheel side - Javier Malonda - 06-18-2018

Hi guys,
I am familiar with cars with two versions. I've raced the Ginetta, which had left and right sided driving wheels. Both versions were named LHD and RHD (if I recall correctly). I was confused at first, but then I noticed one version had the driving wheel on the left side and the other one on the right side. 
So, when I downloaded the Caterham yesterday and saw the same naming convention, I installed the LHD one expecting to find the wheel on the left side. I was surprised to find it on the other side. "It's ok", I said to myself, "I'll try the other one". I found myself sitting on the right side again.
So I wanted to ask you guys: have you experienced the same issue? Are there two right wheeled versions? Did I get two right shoes?
Thanks in advance.

RE: Caterham's driving wheel side - Jaroslav Černý - 06-18-2018

It should not be so. I do not have the Racedepartment version installed right now that Ben uploaded but in general the way we do things is usually LHD variant is the base variant and when you want to drive RHD AC has this subvariant option for cars so that the clutter in GUI is lower. There is an icon on top in AC launcher to select RHD or in content manager you will see easily one is RHD. You can find it explained on the Caterham 1700 download page where I've made pictures for Ben so that people learn it.
It is the same selection mechanism you have to use with stock AC cars as well such as: E30 GrA, Lotus 240 S3 and many other, so nothing new but apparently it is new to some people.

You can check the UI data files if there is an error and view the specific variants in showroom. If you do find some issue forward it to Ben.

Don't know when the Academy will get updated but it will, slowly chewing through other stuff to get to it. No info yet from DPR received, probably never will get any but I will try get their feedback on the updated Academy before publishing it. Right now unfortunately the Academy is a stop gap version and more of an 1700 than Academy.

If you find something wrong with the physics that isn't aero or rear axle, let me (JackCY) know on RD in PM.

RE: Caterham's driving wheel side - Javier Malonda - 06-18-2018

Thanks for the reply, Jaroslav.

So, if I understood correctly, LHD and RHD have nothing to do with the driving wheel position? What's the difference then between the two versions?

Either than that, the car looks and feels very good. Congrats for the work and thanks for sharing.

It has to do with model = different wheel position and different driver camera position. Selected like this:

STD should be RHD aka wrong/English position suitable for horse riding and fighting.
LHD is what everyone else uses.
Since the car is often made RHD or even RHD only that is the base version.

It should be this way for Academy as well and from the data I see downloaded from RD it is.

I have so many variants here to keep track of that I do not install all "beta" versions from RD.

[Image: ui-png.216731]

Thanks again for your quick and detailed answer, Jaroslav. I am going to try it again and see if I can get the RHD position.

Thanks!

If you're trying it on SRS, then it may simply be that they only made LHD available in their selections. I did not try the Academy on SRS yet, I will try it after I make patches to it and they go public.

Couldn't seat on the left side. I chose the LHD, I was sitting on the right side. I saw many drivers sitting on the left though. I checked the reply; I was sitting on the left side, even though I had been driving on the right side. Now I am even more confused...

RE: Caterham's driving wheel side - Michael Butler - 06-18-2018

(06-18-2018, 06:47 PM)Javier Malonda Wrote:  Couldn't seat on the left side. I chose the LHD, I was sitting on the right side. I saw many drivers sitting on the left though. I checked the reply; I was sitting on the left side, even though I had been driving on the right side. Now I am even more confused...

Apparently there is a passenger camera view on LHD that shows the right side with no wheel, as i scroll thru the views, otherwise it's LHD behind the wheel. the RHD was ALL views on the right side.

RE: Caterham's driving wheel side - Jaroslav Černý - 06-19-2018

Possible, I will check the cams when exporting the variants. I didn't make the cams on Academy so I don't know what's there now.

RE: Caterham's driving wheel side - Russell Sobie - 06-19-2018

Came to post what Michael posted. I've been cycling through my views recently having started using Real Head Movement (which uses the first person POV for head tracking software like TrackIR and Freetrack) and happened to notice that one of the first person POVs for the LHD Caterham is the passenger side.  Both LHD and RHD were selectable during registration for the  Caterham races last season without issue, and of course, being of sound body and mind, I chose the LHD version. Wink

The only things wrong with the mod that I can tell are that 1) the animations for the RHD steering wheel are borked once the car gets about 20m in front of you... the steering wheel floats outside of the cab, and is super distracting! and 2) performance in general tanks on my single display system when there are 5+ Caterhams around me. I've taken to changing my system settings for Caterham races to be super lean, but it really doesn't help all that much.

Still stupidly fun to drive, and luckily there are 8AM races for it this season, so I'll definitely be getting up a bit early to participate!