Sim Racing System
Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Mandatory Qualify before Racing (/showthread.php?tid=3040)

Pages: 1 2

Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Iam Jabour - 04-18-2018

Hi, today we had a very nice chat on discord about the problem of people racing without even knowing the track. We came up with a simple (on the explanation point) way to improve everyone race.

Mandatory Qualify:
To be able to enter a race with a specific car and track you need to pass a mandatory qualify first. Not sure how it would work on the implementation side (more on this at the bottom).
So the idea is simple:
- If you subscribe to a race you have to complete at least 3 hot laps without any fault.
- The 3 laps should not have a delta difference more than X (where X could be something like 3-5sec)
- If you have a fault you are disqualified from the race and have to try again later (like a 3 hours penalty time).

How this could be implemented? I'm not a mod expert so on my view:
- During practice of the race. Good point: make it easy since the server is already created and people have joined. Bad point: People may be disqualified and the race will have less driver, Someone can crash on you and you will be disqualified.
- Special session for it. May use resources and make infrastructure more complicated. Good side: If will qualify before join the race.
- Local race: you install a mod so you can do it on a practice session by yourself and the file is validated by the mod. Bad side: mod development.

RE: Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Daniel Nowak - 04-19-2018

(04-18-2018, 11:46 PM)Iam Jabour Wrote:  Hi, today we had a very nice chat on discord about the problem of people racing without even knowing the track. We came up with a simple (on the explanation point) way to improve everyone race.

Mandatory Qualify:
To be able to enter a race with a specific car and track you need to pass a mandatory qualify first. Not sure how it would work on the implementation side (more on this at the bottom).
So the idea is simple:
- If you subscribe to a race you have to complete at least 3 hot laps without any fault.
- The 3 laps should not have a delta difference more than X (where X could be something like 3-5sec)
- If you have a fault you are disqualified from the race and have to try again later (like a 3 hours penalty time).

How this could be implemented? I'm not a mod expert so on my view:
- During practice of the race. Good point: make it easy since the server is already created and people have joined. Bad point: People may be disqualified and the race will have less driver, Someone can crash on you and you will be disqualified.
- Special session for it. May use resources and make infrastructure more complicated. Good side: If will qualify before join the race.
- Local race: you install a mod so you can do it on a practice session by yourself and the file is validated by the mod. Bad side: mod development.
+1. need to have some challenge that people complete before they can qualify. if you didn't practice the car/track, you can't race.

I would even go as far as to say that the challenge should be hard enough for only one split. that way no need for rating system

RE: Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Toni Vicente - 04-19-2018

I agree with a mandatory practice, but It would not be good to leave people out for not being fast enough, anyway they should be required to complete the practice without incident to race.

I think that criteria to access the first split must be: Minimun laps/time practice+good rating in incident avg.
Uniting the ability to be on the track without leaving and be a clean driver.

RE: Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Harri Blom - 04-19-2018

Are you guys trying to banish all the users from this system?  Huh

RE: Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Rafael Jimenez - 04-19-2018

I believe that such a restrictive system would seriously reduce participation within SRS. Keep in mind that the idea is to increase participation. With 1000 people if it is possible to carry out this type of actions but not right now.
It is easier to make categories according to your rating or license. With categories rookie, amateur, advance, pro, etc ... But this without increased participation, does not make sense.

RE: Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Andy Long - 04-19-2018

I think the better option would be to introduce minor rating into the system, and restrict some of the races based on your rating. The splits could then be decided by licence/rating, so if you have a rook licence you would only ever be in a split with other rookies. And more frequent races for rookies and the lower classes.

Also some races could then be restricted by licence, for instance the current AC 1 hour 911 GT1 race should be restricted as that car is hard to drive and not something you can just jump into, in the top split you'll be lucky to get more than 12 people actually finish the race

As SRS grows they are going to hit more of these problems where some people are taking it more seriously than others and they will have to cater for this.

RE: Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Rafael Jimenez - 04-19-2018

(04-19-2018, 09:23 AM)Andy Long Wrote:  I think the better option would be to introduce minor rating into the system, and restrict some of the races based on your rating. The splits could then be decided by licence/rating, so if you have a rook licence you would only ever be in a split with other rookies. And more frequent races for rookies and the lower classes.

Also some races could then be restricted by licence, for instance the current AC 1 hour 911 GT1 race should be restricted as that car is hard to drive and not something you can just jump into, in the top split you'll be lucky to get more than 12 people actually finish the race

As SRS grows they are going to hit more of these problems where some people are taking it more seriously than others and they will have to cater for this.
I agree, although, as I said previously, if something similar were to be done right now, there would be 8 participants per race. I mean, if participation does not increase, restriction in the categories does not make sense.

RE: Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Andy Long - 04-19-2018

(04-19-2018, 09:28 AM)Rafael Jimenez Wrote:  
(04-19-2018, 09:23 AM)Andy Long Wrote:  I think the better option would be to introduce minor rating into the system, and restrict some of the races based on your rating. The splits could then be decided by licence/rating, so if you have a rook licence you would only ever be in a split with other rookies. And more frequent races for rookies and the lower classes.

I agree, although, as I said previously, if something similar were to be done right now, there would be 8 participants per race. I mean, if participation does not increase, restriction in the categories does not make sense.

Yeah agree, they would have to transition over, so to start they could just have Rookie races and then Everyone else, to ensure your not a complete idiot before racing with everyone else. But not having this in place could also mean people leave as they get frustrated. It would also flag to people who are joining the race that there will be rookies racing and to take care. I would also run these Rookie races every hour, I think making it easier to jump in a race would help increase participation.

RE: Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Gergely Mazak - 04-19-2018

I don't think it would solve the issue. I believe in most cases race incidents are simply caused by drivers' poor racecraft and/or bad attitude (aggressiveness).

RE: Mandatory Qualify before Racing - Russell Sobie - 04-19-2018

There's a line between wanting participation and wanting participation that "gets it". Not a whole lot of people immediately "get it" when they first start racing against humans. All they have experience with is AI in simulators, or multiplayer Mario Kart where literally anything goes.

Essentially what I'm saying is that it'd be great to have more people in races, but if they are going to not be people you actually WANT in the race, what's the point of them being there?

I think my solution to this issue is that people file more incident reports on people being idiots in races, and then those people get a month long ban combined with a link to any number of videos on the Internet explaining how to race nicely with others. I'm trying to do my part in this respect! Big Grin