Sim Racing System
First Race Blues - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Assetto Corsa Apps (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: First Race Blues (/showthread.php?tid=2350)

First Race Blues - Ajay Jones - 02-13-2018

Hi Folks,
Last night I was due to have my first race (in the Porsche RSR Euro Championship). As I'm new to SRS I was understandably in the bottom split. I was using the qualifying session to set my car up for the race as my entry was a last minute decision (I was only accepted by SRS yesterday), so I qualified in 6th using medium tyres. All was well, but then when we went to grid and start lights came up I noticed all cars around me started jumping around and my ping had gone from 30 to  1400 (wow). So not wanting to spoil anyone's race just before the lights went out I quickly jump-started and pull off course and quit.
So my questions are, was that the right thing to do and will I be penalised by SRS for jump-starting and quitting the race?
Not a great start, and hopefully I didn't put anyone off.
AJ

RE: First Race Blues - Russell Sobie - 02-14-2018

My understanding with how things work, yes, you will be penalized rating points for leaving a race without finishing at least 3 laps.

Sounds like the server was having issues (there were reports of that elsewhere on here today). Given that you didn't know that there might be server issues, I think what you did was quite courteous! What you COULD have done to avoid the DNF penalty and stayed out of everyone's way with a bad connection, would be to jump start, pull off to the side, and then let the race start. After everyone passes you, do a lap, do your drive through penalty, and then complete at least three laps before disconnecting. And do all of this well away from other racers in case it IS your connection causing the problems. If it stabilizes, feel free to race all the way to the end. You might even pass a few folks!

RE: First Race Blues - Ajay Jones - 02-14-2018

(02-14-2018, 12:52 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  My understanding with how things work, yes, you will be penalized rating points for leaving a race without finishing at least 3 laps.

Sounds like the server was having issues (there were reports of that elsewhere on here today). Given that you didn't know that there might be server issues, I think what you did was quite courteous! What you COULD have done to avoid the DNF penalty and stayed out of everyone's way with a bad connection, would be to jump start, pull off to the side, and then let the race start. After everyone passes you, do a lap, do your drive through penalty, and then complete at least three laps before disconnecting. And do all of this well away from other racers in case it IS your connection causing the problems. If it stabilizes, feel free to race all the way to the end. You might even pass a few folks!

Thanks for the reply, and yes in hindsight that is what I probably should have done as it's perfectly rational. I guess I went into panic mode and being a noob to SRS was overly cautious. A lesson learnt I guess.

Thanks again.