Sim Racing System
Decreasing skin size - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Decreasing skin size (/showthread.php?tid=2194)

Decreasing skin size - Sebastiaan van den Heuvel - 01-24-2018

Hi guys,
I wanted the skin i use to be visible in broadcasts but i cant for the life of me find a skin thats below 10mb's. How can one decreasy existing skins size?

RE: Decreasing skin size - João Dias - 01-24-2018

hey man,

I've seen something about that writen in anoher topic, but coldnt find it...

So try to reopen the biggest files in photoshop and, when saving it as d3d/dds files, lower the DXTs, from 5 (biggest file/best quality), to 3 (medium size) and then to 1 (lower size) if the file is still too big..

keep in mind that sometimes the dxt 1 or 3 wont show properly ingame, depending on what are you saving (for example, windows glass tend to be bugged in lower dxts). I thank Jeroen Breukel for letting me know my skin glasses werent showing properly during the race, despite being ok in showroom, so I had save it as higher dxt and ajust the other files sizes.

RE: Decreasing skin size - Marek Vons - 01-24-2018

I am just resizing the textures from example from 4096x4096 to 2048x2048 when they are too big, that will make the job done. 50% of the size

RE: Decreasing skin size - Shaun Clarke - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 04:15 PM)Marek Vons Wrote:  I am just resizing the textures from example from 4096x4096 to 2048x2048 when they are too big, that will make the job done. 50% of the size
Totally agree, this is what I have been doing, and all worked so far.

Shaun

RE: Decreasing skin size - Sebastiaan van den Heuvel - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 02:00 PM)João Dias Wrote:  hey man,

I've seen something about that writen in anoher topic, but coldnt find it...

So try to reopen the biggest files in photoshop and, when saving it  as d3d/dds files, lower the DXTs, from 5 (biggest file/best quality), to 3 (medium size) and then to 1 (lower size) if the file is still too big..

keep in mind that sometimes the dxt 1 or 3 wont show properly ingame, depending on what are you saving (for example, windows glass tend to be bugged in lower dxts). I thank Jeroen Breukel  for letting me know my skin glasses werent showing properly during the race, despite being ok in showroom, so I had save it as higher dxt and ajust the other files sizes.

It worked, thanks!!

RE: Decreasing skin size - Jay Gabriel - 01-25-2018

Also make sure u Don't have ant extra files that are not being used. e.g. extra. jpg. photo or even an extra copy of a .dds file that isn't being used anymore. ( I've done that while making adjustments to files)

RE: Decreasing skin size - Russell Sobie - 01-25-2018

What I do is have a "workspace" folder on one of my data drives where I keep the PSD for any of the textures I'm going to be adjusting, and then put a shortcut to the "russell_sobie" folder in my AC file path for the car I'm skinning. That way when I want to save as a DDS, I just double click the shortcut to the folder, and voila... I'm right where I need to save it, and the stuff in THAT folder is all that will ever get uploaded in the 10MB file size limit.

RE: Decreasing skin size - Ander Porteiro - 01-28-2018

And remember, the real limit is not 10 Mb, it is 10.000.000 bytes = 9,53 Mb  Rolleyes