Sim Racing System
Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - Printable Version

+- Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com)
+-- Forum: Sim Racing System (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Racing Series Discussion (https://www.simracingsystem.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? (/showthread.php?tid=2125)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - Russell Sobie - 01-13-2018

There is a fairly old video series done by a guy named Scott Hanley over on his youtube channel. The quality is not super, and his attempts at humor fall pretty flat just about every time... however, the points that he makes in his three part video series are extremely helpful. Not just to "rookies in iRacing" either... but to anyone that does sim racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U&list=PL6DrFHFm0bsORR7MC_Mrumn6GERqFUpng

If you can't stand to look at oval racing examples, here's my summary of the main points discussed in the videos and how they apply to SRS road racing:

1. Slow Down for Danger

When an incident ahead is likely or has already occurred, slow down to give yourself more time to negotiate the hazard. Don't attempt to drive through crashes at full throttle.
Slowing down does four things:

- Allows for the current situation to improve on its own.
- Gives you more time to assess the situation and make a good decision about what adjustments you need to make in your line to avoid contact.
- Any contact you DO make might be minimal if you aren't going full speed.
- Gives you more control over your own vehicle to make those adjustments.

2. Pay more attention to as far up the road as you can.

Don't just pay attention to the 20 feet directly in front of you. Looking far ahead on the circuit helps you see incidents that might cause you trouble. If you don't see the danger, you won't be able to slow down for it! Besides... you should be looking ahead at your next apex or corner exit anyway!

3. Anticipate danger before it happens.

Learn how to recognize danger before it is too late to react appropriately. 

- Smoke due to locked up brakes or offroading.
- Two or more drivers racing hard and close. 
- Drivers with bright red names (bad connections) warping up ahead. 
- Cars pointed the wrong way (about to spin/crash). 

These are just some of the warning signs that bad things are about to happen.

4. Don't race as hard and fast as possible around those that may not be professional race car drivers. Hint: You, nor anyone around you is a professional race car driver.

Trying to race as close and as aggressive as the guys on TV requires you to be as good as the guys on TV. It also requires everyone around you to be that good. They are not that good. Additionally, it's likely that those around you don't have perfect situational awareness. Most are likely on a single monitor and you are lucky if they have Helicorsa installed.

5. Review replays.

Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others. Watch how things go badly from multiple car's cockpit perspective to see how everyone involved in an incident could have prevented it. Watching replays is also a great way to figure out how our resident aliens are beating your lap times by 3 seconds a lap. Big Grin

RE: Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - Michael Butler - 01-14-2018

(01-13-2018, 11:00 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  There is a fairly old video series done by a guy named Scott Hanley over on his youtube channel. The quality is not super, and his attempts at humor fall pretty flat just about every time... however, the points that he makes in his three part video series are extremely helpful. Not just to "rookies in iRacing" either... but to anyone that does sim racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U&list=PL6DrFHFm0bsORR7MC_Mrumn6GERqFUpng

If you can't stand to look at oval racing examples, here's my summary of the main points discussed in the videos and how they apply to SRS road racing:

1. Slow Down for Danger

When an incident ahead is likely or has already occurred, slow down to give yourself more time to negotiate the hazard. Don't attempt to drive through crashes at full throttle.
Slowing down does four things:

- Allows for the current situation to improve on its own.
- Gives you more time to assess the situation and make a good decision about what adjustments you need to make in your line to avoid contact.
- Any contact you DO make might be minimal if you aren't going full speed.
- Gives you more control over your own vehicle to make those adjustments.

2. Pay more attention to as far up the road as you can.

Don't just pay attention to the 20 feet directly in front of you. Looking far ahead on the circuit helps you see incidents that might cause you trouble. If you don't see the danger, you won't be able to slow down for it! Besides... you should be looking ahead at your next apex or corner exit anyway!

3. Anticipate danger before it happens.

Learn how to recognize danger before it is too late to react appropriately. 

- Smoke due to locked up brakes or offroading.
- Two or more drivers racing hard and close. 
- Drivers with bright red names (bad connections) warping up ahead. 
- Cars pointed the wrong way (about to spin/crash). 

These are just some of the warning signs that bad things are about to happen.

4. Don't race as hard and fast as possible around those that may not be professional race car drivers. Hint: You, nor anyone around you is a professional race car driver.

Trying to race as close and as aggressive as the guys on TV requires you to be as good as the guys on TV. It also requires everyone around you to be that good. They are not that good. Additionally, it's likely that those around you don't have perfect situational awareness. Most are likely on a single monitor and you are lucky if they have Helicorsa installed.

5. Review replays.

Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others. Watch how things go badly from multiple car's cockpit perspective to see how everyone involved in an incident could have prevented it. Watching replays is also a great way to figure out how our resident aliens are beating your lap times by 3 seconds a lap. Big Grin

Also. especially from the starting grid, anticipate another driver being beside you through Turn 1 and give him room, inside or out, don't swing wide and expect to take the turn on the inside...keep your line through all turns. go wide as possible to allow room on the inside if that driver has a nose inside you, don't cut him off, same with drivers on the inside, don't swing wide in front of the outside car, stay inside.

RE: Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - Simon Meisinger - 01-14-2018

And watch your mirrors. If you see someone coming at you way too fast, give him room.

And yes. Watch the replay. Always watch the replay. Chances are that even if it's not your fault, you could and should have done something differently.

RE: Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - Russell Sobie - 01-14-2018

The watching mirrors IS a thing, but ideally it wouldn't be since if you are looking in your mirror going into a turn fearing someone is about to dive bomb you, there's a good chance you are not going to take that corner as accurately as would benefit you... even if you are trying to give him room to do so. Especially if your speed is set up for a typical racing line. Giving room means you could find yourself off track shortly.

Another good tip I've found is to practice starts with AIs. The AI in Assetto Corsa isn't the best thing in the world, but at the very least you can find out what the first couple of turns in lap 1 are going to look like when you are in a full grid. I save a preset in Content Manager for car/track combos that put me in the middle of the grid of 20 drivers, and essentially do about 10 race starts before I join the official SRS race server. I get a good idea of where I need to start braking and what different lines through these corners is going to be when there is another car to my side.

RE: Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - Simon Meisinger - 01-15-2018

You should always know what’s happening around you, that includes keeping an eye on your mirrors. This doesn’t mean you should focus on your mirrors and forget what’s ahead of you, of course.

And giving room doesn’t mean you should get off track.

RE: Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - Stefano Zanella - 01-15-2018

Helicorsa helped me a lot, i have a 16/10 monitor and only 22" so i need very high fow , and mirrors were always off screen, with Helicorsa i can see what people do near me, this will not help who doesn't brake on t1, but will help who is in front..

and another thing, because this week there are 2 series with Monza, DONT TRY TO OVERTAKE ON T1 OF LAP 1 FOR GOD SAKE, there is huge slipstream, if you are faster, you will pass who is front of yo. and if you are slower you will not stay in front anyway.

at t1 of lap 1 you will only get a huge load of incidents, car damage, spins out etcc.. and at the end of t1 you and who you hit, will be too far away from the leader.

RE: Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - João Dias - 01-15-2018

(01-13-2018, 11:00 PM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U&list=PL6DrFHFm0bsORR7MC_Mrumn6GERqFUpng
This is genius!! I am laughing, might give that subtitles in my lenguage lol

RE: Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - Russell Sobie - 01-15-2018

Yeah, the Monza races this week I've been in have all had multi-car pile ups at turn one. I love Monza... it's the circuit I learned PC sim racing on back in Race'07, but it almost feels like this track should be banned outside of organized league play or something. Even folks like me that lift and drive a carefully held line through that chicane on the first lap still get plowed into from behind because no one practices going through that chicane in anything other than optimal racing line. I guess I would add that to a list of tips for new drivers: Practice going through turns that are frequent overtake turns (like chicanes) at many different entry and exit points at varying speeds.

Off topic: I would love it if there were a racing sim that would allow users to set up the state of a race that could easily be restarted and replayed over and over. Imagine how useful it would be to practice overtaking an AI at the last chicane at Spa a dozen times a minute, rather than only getting to practice that once every 1000x laps because that track is so long? Just set up a spawn point for your car, as many other AI cars as you want, and give everyone a starting speed. Hit a button, and it resets to your saved state so you can iterate as fast as possible. I currently do this for race starts, but even that is time consuming.

RE: Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - Simon Meisinger - 01-15-2018

Quote:Just set up a spawn point for your car, as many other AI cars as you want, and give everyone a starting speed. Hit a button, and it resets to your saved state so you can iterate as fast as possible.
That's a great idea. Somebody should make a mod for that or something ...

RE: Surviving Rookies... er... Lap 1? - Russell Sobie - 01-16-2018

You could do something similar to this in IL-2 1942 for practicing dogfights or bombing runs or whatever... but that sim had a whole toolset for creating missions. Likely the closest thing you could do for AC would be to modify individual tracks, and I don't think there's a way to start any cars in any other state than 0 velocity pointing in a particular direction (like pit slots or hotlap starting locations).